Classic Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally had the parts and chance to do something I have always wanted to try. Found 2 metal plates from the rear freewheels of two old racers. With some slight modification and a faux rusty paint job I think they give the wheel a little something extra even though they are not exact matches..
Barto,
so sorry for responding so late about detail shots. Nothing to hard on the rim paint job. Covered the spokes with plastic straws then ran some tape around the out side edge. a coat of acid primer then the deep red color. Thought about just painting the spokes red then leaving the rim and freewheel plates chrome which would have matched the picture better but would not have stood out as strong.
Plates:

Rim detail:

As it stands so far:

Brett, I normally prefer more subtle mounts myself but decided the rubber brackets just give more of a texture and a "home made" feel. I do not want it to be to pretty.
But I can use some votes if my fender idea is any good. The back 1/3rd of the original fender was pretty mangled so bobbed it and for something different covered it in a leather. First time I tried to wrap a compound curve so not perfect. Harder than I thought to keep the seam down the center. And it needs some shaping to get it to look better with that tire but I am not convinced it looks good at all????
Any thoughts from you guys?

Definitely keep the fender! Cool idea, and I actually like the "wrinkled leather" look .....don't try to make it too perfect. Like other old things (me) our imperfections are what make us who we are....unique! Rat on!:cool:

It has been a day of mocking ideas up.
I wish I had more parts to work with but I think these handlebars have a good feel to them. Might give them a faux rust look to help balance the brown of the fender.

Also trying to get this tail light to work.
u me
If by "get tail light to work" you mean fit the build, it does. If you mean "function", check out my mod on my tail light on my Beer Boy. Easily done, cheap, and works great! Your build is on target in my book!

The leather fender is an awesome idea. I am sure you'll be able to work out the wrinkles.
I have never been a fan of bum bars, but those don't look bad on there at all. Maybe if you wrapped part of them in leather strips like bar tape?
Tires look great with the wheels and frame.
As usual, kingcarp is on to something great here! Cut strips from an old leather coat and use as bar tape. Especially with the "bum bar" (love that, first time hearing it, but it is what it is!) which would have been wrapped in the first place...

Finally had the parts and chance to do something I have always wanted to try. Found 2 metal plates from the rear freewheels of two old racers. With some slight modification and a faux rusty paint job I think they give the wheel a little something extra even though they are not exact matches..
Barto,
so sorry for responding so late about detail shots. Nothing to hard on the rim paint job. Covered the spokes with plastic straws then ran some tape around the out side edge. a coat of acid primer then the deep red color. Thought about just painting the spokes red then leaving the rim and freewheel plates chrome which would have matched the picture better but would not have stood out as strong.
Plates:

Rim detail:

As it stands so far:
Yep!

The fender is growing on me and I think there is no turning back with it. It is glued down for good. Although I did find some rivets in my stash of goodies I may add to it.
Oddjob, by work I did mean light up. Hoping I can get the headlight and tail light to work off of one battery pack. Just have not found a container or place for the battery as of yet. Thanks for all the encouragement!

:113:

Rivets look good with the leather, just curious where you got the rivets. Every thing I've seen at the store lately all have a divot in them,not smooth like those.

They are from Tandy Leather.
Called medium rapid rivets 1273-16
I used a regular pair of pliers to squeeze the two parts together.

Need some help from you electricians out there. Trying to figure out the wiring for my headlight and tail light. I know it is simple but it has been 40 years since electronics class in JR high. Here is my thought.

Going old school with regular bulbs instead of leds.
Wondering if this wiring is correct and how many/what size batteries I need. Can I use 2 D cells to run the 2 bulbs?
Thanks for the help.

I'm no electrician by ANY means. But I think running them in parallel might be better. In your sketch, if one bulb burns out, both are out and I think it takes more juice to run it. A simple parallel circuit would let them run independently. I would think a couple of D would do the trick if running non-LED, 2-4 AAs may also be an option. Again, not an electrician.
2ef0c9870e9e48e6d8b16e0377db409a.jpg

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back