Classic Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a little stuck on the electrical but thanks to doerman and Oddjob I figured it out,it is working enough for me and though not supper pretty it goes with the theme. Getting close to finished so here is a few photos were it stands at the moment. I tried wrapping the handlebars in some black cloth tape but once I saw it I did not like the look. Sort of needed a little chrome to balance some of the other silver on it, ie:cranks, seat post etc.
So far:

Tank: Think I will be renaming it TRAVELLER. Each side of the tank has different travel images on it.

Battery holder in place and wired:

Front light:

Rear light:
Your lighting set-up and the battery holder are totally rat-ified! Your patina on the housings, tank, battery holder.....amazing! Very cool build!

That battery holder is extremely cool!

I have two observations. First is the saddle. I would love to see you do your leather and rivet treatment to it to match the fender. Second, the tank plate straps look too new in contrast with the rest of the bike. You could easily change that by soaking them and the bolts in vinegar overnight. I hope this is taken in the spirit of friendly suggestions. :)
Yep! Or use the technique on the straps that you created that crazy patina with on the battery holder. Good idea RM on the rivet / leather seat combo....+1 !

The last part is done. Not sure if I am really happy with the seat but considering it was the first time I tried a recover job I guess it is okay. Because of the metal seat pan I was unable to use staples to help hold the material on so I put some leather straping along the edges. Helps give some visual interest. Will see how it all holds up. Will probably try and knock some of the shine off along with the tank straps.

The last part is done. Not sure if I am really happy with the seat but considering it was the first time I tried a recover job I guess it is okay. Because of the metal seat pan I was unable to use staples to help hold the material on so I put some leather straping along the edges. Helps give some visual interest. Will see how it all holds up. Will probably try and knock some of the shine off along with the tank straps.

The back edge of the seat looks awesome! Not sure about the screws, albeit countersunk with a washer, in the thigh rub area....? I have had good luck with the 3M Strong spray adhesive to hold leather on to metal, vinyl, or other materials; with no need of staples. Another glue-to-anything product I like is Goop. Held my son's rear view mirror on the side of his car for 3 years before we decided to buy a repop and put it on. Had a real struggle to get it free from the driver's door....

Want some real torture from thigh-scratchers? Go check out Fordsnakes chain-rimmed rat seat!! This one above may not be so troublesome..

Fantastic bicycle, I'm in love with the rust. Don't know if you have chain guard yet but I just found these and I think it would fit the bikes look. The company that sell them is called Velo Orange
img_6818_zpsimffv3jh.jpg

No chain guard yet. I have one sitting out but thinking I might go with out. A little tougher, rougher look with out it.
But I really like that one. Going to look into it.

Had a chance for a quick ride in between rain showers today. No problem with the seat screws rubbing any were they should not. Slight sound in ther rear hub but since I rebuilt it thinking it just needs some time to distribute the grease well. At least that is what I am hoping. Next is the final pics if the rain lets up this week.

LOVE IT!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back