cleaning/degreasing bearings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling hot water with a good citrus cleaner is a good environmentally safe method. Soak them in the hot water for a while and then scrub them with a toothbrush to get the old grease out. It usually takes a few attempts to get them clean. Scrubbing with gasoline is the old standby if you have a way to dispose of it.

"I love the smell of Simple Green in the morning. Smells like... victory"
91f8ozX9IxL._AC_SY450_.jpg

I,m a kerosene guy, seems to work quickest on real old crap. I have used brake cleaner and it is super quick and powerful but really dangerous to the body. I use it sparingly and as a last resort. But when time is an issue I will carefully use it. And yes I use kerosene because I do have a place to dispose. The brake cleaner evaporates on its own but I assume at a cost to the environment.

For the really crusty and varnished stuff, I prefer a small amount of Goof-Off poured in a shallow jar. Just like the other volatile suggestions, this comes with its own risks and disposal problems.

I also repurposed a cheap electric toothbrush. For good measure, I hit them with my Wife's hair dryer.
Uncle John:
Using your wife's hair dryer might be okay, but it's good that you didn't use her toothbrush. That probably would get you in trouble.

Latest posts

Back