Clear Out - lights done, so it's done...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this top down angle. Still doesn't look quite focused though.
I know, I know, .... The light in the basement isn't meant for shooting high quality pictures... :-(
I will try one more time with an additional light source, but this might take a while... Wife is keeping me busy with other important stuff... you probably know what I mean ;-)

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

Very pretty indeed, I have a similar one so I know it must rings quite loud and has a nice sound too. A bit like an old telephone.
Here in Berlin a loud bell is very important for your survival!

With these chrome fenders I would like to see a photograph done with the flash on.
Then you will probably see, how dirty I left them (all on purpose) :)
I will try to make some outdoor pics soon. Just yesterday discovered a promising location...

With these chrome fenders I would like to see a photograph done with the flash on.

Just remembered that I actually took one with flash on in the first setting (I don't like the hard shadows created by the flash). Here you go:
ab3f187d09fa064a60ad9f1766a83382.jpg

These last ones really show the bike well. The middle one shows most of your detail work. I'd probably go with that one.

I agree middle one shows bike well

1. Your backgrounds are quite muted, and the bike has very few colors, except for the pedal reflectors. What I suggest is load the photos on your computer and play with some really simple editing programm (like Photofiltre, you don't need Adobe for that) and just play a little with the contrast setting just to make the bike pop, to add a little more depth. It will show the chrome better too.
2. Also are you using a phone to shoot the pics? Try tapping on the center of the bike to make the camera focus on it so the background isn't so clear, that helps too with perspective and image depth.
3. You shoot in 4:3 aspect ratio, but for final pics you should use the 16:9 wide-screen setting - because it is much closer to the way the human eye actually percepts the surroundings, which is mostly due to the fact we have two eyes instead of one. Your field of vision is like that:
1280px-Field_of_view.svg.png
That's the reason why movies are more enjoyable in wide-screen format than on a 4:3. Actually TV sets were 4:3 only because the technology decades ago wouldn't allow for wider screens.
So 4:3 removes you from the object while widescreen immerges you in the picture.
aspect ratio.JPG

I, at least, find the pics on the right more pleasing.

I like all three photos, great angles, hard to pick one. The white brick wall pics are also quite good. You are not adding the dynamo to the fork just for looks? And what about the pump, I see you have an integrated pump holder on the down tube?

Last edited:
1. Your backgrounds are quite muted, and the bike has very few colors, except for the pedal reflectors. What I suggest is load the photos on your computer and play with some really simple editing programm (like Photofiltre, you don't need Adobe for that) and just play a little with the contrast setting just to make the bike pop, to look add a little more depth. It will show the chrome better too.
2. Also are you using a phone to shoot the pics? Try tapping on the center of the bike to make the camera focus on it so the background isn't so clear, that helps too with perspective and image depth.
3. You shoot in 4:3 aspect ratio, but for final pics you should use the 16:9 wide-screen setting - because it is much closer to the way the human eye actually percepts the surroundings, which is mostly due to the fact we have two eyes instead of one. Your field of vision is like that:
View attachment 102665
That's the reason why movies are more enjoyable in wide-screen format than on a 4:3. Actually TV sets were 4:3 only because the technology decades ago wouldn't allow for wider screens.
So 4:3 removes you from the object while widescreen immerges you in the picture.
View attachment 102666
I, at least, find the pics on the right more pleasing.

I like all three photos, great angles, hard to pick one. The white brick wall pics are also quite good. You are not adding the dynamo to the fork just for looks? And what about the pump, I see you have an integrated pump holder on the down tube?

Thanks for the tips and the background on it. I will try to set my camera to 16:9 (I just use the phone for spontaneous pictures inbetween) and tweak the pics a bit with gimp for the finished thread.

I'm not planning to add a dynamo as the lights will be battery powered and I'm not planning to add a pump (I don't have a fitting one and if I had, it would probably get stolen...), but I will leave all the various tabs on the frame and fork, because I will probably rebuild a third bike with that frame (if I don`t sell it) during a future build off... (Aller guten Dinge sind drei!) ;-)

I meant only for the photos, I myself carry my pump in my backpack, to be honest :)
You are right, bike theft is quite the problem here in Germany. I lost two bikes to thievery, my mom two, a colleague three... Various attempts to steal parts...
I read about the guy that got shot in the head in Berlin a few days ago - after the police caught the killer they fished his getaway bike out of the river. I was thinking why would he dump it in the river??? Should have left it in the street, would have been stolen in a matter of minutes and never found again.

Last edited:
I tried one more time on my way back home (the sun was far to bright, but I had to test it anyway) now with a 16:9 ratio and played around a bit with brightness and contrast...

SAM_4700_01.JPG

I like it much better already! Weather forecast for tomorrow says overcast, so I'll give it another shot then...

BTW, I wish my storage was this organized!
It took a while to get it there, but without strictly organizing it, I would only fit in half the stuff...
The downside of beeing a bike hoarder married to a clothes hoarder and having to kids growing out of their clothes to fast... ;-)

I tried one more time on my way back home (the sun was far to bright, but I had to test it anyway) now with a 16:9 ratio and played around a bit with brightness and contrast...

View attachment 102741
I like it much better already! Weather forecast for tomorrow says overcast, so I'll give it another shot then...
I like the depth on that shot....and the shadow actually! Now I will go to your Finished thread to see if you used this one. :giggle:

I like the depth on that shot....and the shadow actually! Now I will go to your Finished thread to see if you used this one. :giggle:
:whistle:
That photo location is on my way home from work, so I will give it another try or two or three...
...and maybe a ride video...

Latest posts

Back