Cleveland Comet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is a well guarded 53 CWC frame with a beehive springer I am building into a skinny tire cruiser. It's for the build off. I have a set of wheels, Sturmey Archer 3 speed w coaster brake to add with a set of 26 x 1.50 skinny tires that should be arriving in a couple of days. I'm trying to keep the weight down, but it's heavy already with this frame, forks, and wheels. I'm hoping the low rolling resistance of the tires will make up the difference. A Brooks B72 saddle will help, it's lightweight. Paint is an option, or I may leave it bare metal.

53pc2h.jpg

Put the tires on and did a test run. It's heavy. The seat, bars, and pedals are just there for testing purposes. The rear hub needs lubed and the spokes need tightened. I might go with standard forks and truss rods to get some weight off it.

5nqhdy.jpg

I found a chain guard that needed a little modding to clear the 22 tooth sprocket. I think these bolt on the inside of the frame, but there wasn't any clearance. I might leave the rust just like that.

2jfhc38.jpg

1zezjuv.jpg

These are the new tires, 40psi, but the reviews says everyone runs them at 60psi and they roll great. I'm not using the black wheels, decided to with the HD SA chrome with rust wheels. Still 3 with a coaster brake.

2mf17oh.jpg

Last edited:
Still waiting to change the tires. I can't lift anything for a few more days, I had a green light laser prostatectomy last Friday. I'm really happy with the new technology modern medicine is coming up with. Us old guys can really appreciate less invasive procedures. 10 years ago I would have spent about a week in the hospital. With the new stuff, I was home the same day with no problem. But I can't get any bikes down off the hooks and go for a ride or anything. I expect to get in a test ride Monday.

Here's the seat I picked up in a trade with Kingfish254 as a freebie he threw in, using it instead of the Brooks B72.

1scxh3.jpg
I love these 3 spring seats but most people don't like the way they ride,there is quite a bit of sideways movement that feels like you're falling off the bike and the springs don't seem to be stiff enough for heavier riders but I've gotten used to it and love em !

Well, the seat was packed away, so the old pan will work. The Comet is complete. The 44/22 sprocket puts high gear right at the right spot. Ready to race!

ddkh93.jpg

ixzjmt.jpg

6oo6sm.jpg

Thanks,

I'm waiting for a non rainy day take it down the Rail Trail. This was the Cuyahoga Crusader previously. Just a month or 2 hanging in the carport added all the rust/patina. You can see from the first pic (with Daisy the watchdog) how clean it was compared to now. I just wire brushed the frame to bare metal and clear coated it about a couple years ago.

ws1mp0.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome work as usual!

Cruiser Gravity Bike
Downhill speed runs, no pedlin', but no need to take the pedals off either 'cause there aint a bunch of rules or 'sanctioned' races, just run what ya brung to the best hill you can find and maybe use your Nav Device to get a speed to report :dance2:
And pics, we gotta have pics, right?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back