Coast King Murray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I wasn't planning on putting this in the build-off so I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked. At any rate, here is what I came up with:

I started with a '63 Coast King Sportster, I bought an '85 Murray and thought it would be cool to use the wheels from that on my Coast King with some nice balloon tires. The balloon tires were just a bit too tight for my liking so I started this project. The Murray frame was pretty rusty and the blue paint looked nasty so I sanded it way down. Next step was Perma-Blue gun bluing, I think it turned out pretty cool, doesn't look like a normal gun bluing but it's got a unique patina. Next I stripped down the Coast King and used the fork, rack, chainguard and a couple of other things mixed with some of the other parts I had laying around. The only new parts on it are the tires and the Brooks saddle. The saddle doesn't really fit the reset of the bike (except for the copper) but it makes for an even nicer ride.

This is what I had
DSCF8084.jpg

Here's the sanded frame
DSCF2611.jpg

DSCF2608.jpg

Here's the "finished" product - I'm sure I'll figure something else out
DSCF2755.jpg

DSCF2760.jpg

Welcome to BO7.

Latest posts

Back