Coaster Brake Squal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have a fix for a coaster brake squalling. I have experienced it on some
Nexus 3 speed hubs and now my Mongoose does it too. It it from bad brake pads , or
the wrong grease? I added some on this bike to the hub , but it didn't quieten it down
any. Wondering what it takes to stop it.

Mine was doing it too, but quit after some use. Maybe the pads need to seat in to the shell.

wrap a koozie around the outside, ziptie it real tight, an... no? :)

the other complaint i heard of a noisy brake was also resolved by just riding it.

I haven't heard of any new solutions since the below thread:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33287

As a recap, I had two used bikes with NX3 hubs. One of the hubs squealed real badly. After swapping the shoes between the two hubs, neither squealed, anymore.

Break in seems to be the most common solution. A different set of brake shoes may fix it. Different grease, or more grease, could solve it. You could always try ear plugs, as well :wink:

My Walgoose did it the first time I braked, really loud. But, it only did it once. Hope my luck holds!

Clancy not sure how you could replace the guts , unless I had another Beast.
Jerry mine hasn't really been ridden much, maybe they will wear in or something.
My frame is in good shape...oh wait I changed that. :lol: :lol:

This is worth a try. It is what I do on older CB hubs to get them braking well. Deglaze the inner hub shell where the shoes contact; Clean the hub shell and brake shoes of all grease first. Lightly sand the inner hub shell with #600 emory cloth to remove the smooth surface.Check the outer curvature of the brake shoes while holding them inside hub shell for fit.Just a little light touch up with #600 emory cloth to the brake shoes helps.Choice of grease varies,from one persons experience to another.Some literature says pack the hub with all the grease that you can push in there.Experiment.

Latest posts

Back