color combo opinions/ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Starting a build on a frame that has nice paint in a metallic burgundy color. If I was to add graphics, what color/colors would look good? I was thinking I'm stuck with either gold or white, but maybe someone has tried something different that came out looking good. Any ideas?
IMG_7422.JPG

I like red and blue together, but usually with the former as an accent and I'm not sure what blue with a metallic red.

I agree with the others that stark white does not work as well as hues that lean toward cream or almond. Either gold or silver are fitting as an accent color, the latter delivering a slightly 'colder' feel.

It may sound crazy, but I think vivid orange could make a nice transitional pinstripe between areas of burgundy & white.

redorangewhite.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with the others that stark white does not work as well as hues that lean toward cream or almond. Either gold or silver are fitting as an accent color, the latter delivering a slightly 'colder' feel.

It may sound crazy, but I think vivid orange could make a nice transitional pinstripe between areas of burgundy & white.

View attachment 93243
Orange or teal. But the burgundy - cream are a great combination, i agree.

I like almond...a bit darker than cream. I actually really like the color of the wood bench it's sitting on. True white works really well if it's a very sporty bike, but not on a relaxed cruiser.

The cream/ivory is a great idea, definitely works for a vintage look. Especially if I work up the nerve to try my hand at scallops. And that orange (or teal) highlight sounds great too. Coincidentally, I looked at the build thread for Echo by @tjwilson yesterday and i really like the orange accents.

Thanks all, I think I know which direction I'm headed now.

So you did the scallops with a rattle can? Any words of wisdom?
I painted the lighter color first, then taped off the scallops. I used blue masking tape which left a pretty rough tape line. That's where I went looking for a pinstriper to cover my mistakes. He went over the tape lines with the orange, then added the cool lines on the top tube. It was suggested that Frog Tape would leave a much cleaner line.

Yeah, it's a little more money, but Frog Tape blows the blue tape away. Great work regardless of tape!

Latest posts

Back