Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good tip.
I've never used a socket and screw driver,just the extension. I put the flat edge of the extension on the cup edge and tap the other end with a hammer,moving the extension around the cup edge.

Here's one for all the bare metal fans. It'll be in primer by this afternoon if it doesn't rain.
bare%20frame_zpslsvkdpp4.jpg

Cool tip with the socket. Ever since I was a kid I have always just used my biggest screwdriver and a hammer. Never met a bearing cup I haven't been able to remove yet.
Thanks for sharing the nekkid lady photo too.

I had given thought to powder coating the frame, but decided to go with rattle can paint so that I can paint the tank to match. It also fits my basic DIY maxim. I am however going with some top shelf aerosol paint that was recommended to me by a professional painter. This came from a local automotive paint supply store and is about twice the price of the typical consumer grade paints (but you get what you pay for). I've used it before and it seems to perform really well.

The initial coat of primer is done:

Frame%20primer_zps2u8bpblm.jpg

Last edited:
The Campy lateral pull brake finally arrived yesterday afternoon. It's a really nice part! So far it looks like I'll be able to make it work (keeping my fingers crossed). It's unclear how much time I'll get to work today with family in town for the weekend, but I'm hoping to drill the fork and do a mock-up.

Another internet image:
lateralpullrearbr12-ttrlp_1379_general.jpg

The Campy lateral pull brake finally arrived yesterday afternoon. It's a really nice part! So far it looks like I'll be able to make it work (keeping my fingers crossed). It's unclear how much time I'll get to work today with family in town for the weekend, but I'm hoping to drill the fork and do a mock-up.

Another internet image:
lateralpullrearbr12-ttrlp_1379_general.jpg
They look road & race ready , getter done[emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far so good. :happy:

The brake fits like a glove! Because it's a rear brake, I had to swap out the short stud with a longer 10mm bolt to reach through the fork. The hole was a little tricky to get centered too. Other than that, it was pretty simple to mount.
front%20brake_zpszf5l8oik.jpg

The next trick will be to squeeze the fender into that tight space. There's very little room for it.

Hmmm... interrupted fender with the front part mounted off the brake pivot bolts?
I believe that I'll be able to dimple the fender for the caliper. It's definitely going to be a tight squeeze though.

I was just getting ready to bug you about the brake again..:D Super cool. Love Campy parts.

Pump that tire up to max psi for your fitting. It may also grow a tad on a hot day. Not sure if those tires you have will do that but I had clearance issues on one of my bikes that would show up whenever I rode it in hot weather.

I was just getting ready to bug you about the brake again..:D Super cool. Love Campy parts.

Pump that tire up to max psi for your fitting. It may also grow a tad on a hot day. Not sure if those tires you have will do that but I had clearance issues on one of my bikes that would show up whenever I rode it in hot weather.
Good tip there, you must be hanging out at Columbus motor speed way. Even on dirt tires heat up and swell.

Thanks Chad. I put the wheel and fender back on and aired it up tight and it looks o.k. at this point.

I'm not sure if it will work, but I started making a buck out of GOOP to dimple the fenders. I made a profile of the inside and outside of the fender and will modify them for the shape that I want and hopefully press them together on the fender to form the dimples.

First step:
fender%20buck_zpsbdcppyhj.jpg

I'm sure there's an easier way, but I want to see if this will work. I've got this GOOP and just want to play with it.:D

I like the way experienced builders, pace out there builds.;)
Yeah, me too. I just wish I were one of them! The deadline is getting louder and louder. :eek:

Last edited:
I like your GOOP idea, I hope it works because some of us might need to try the same thing. BTW, I might have missed it but where did you get the GOOP from? I haven't seen it around here.

Latest posts

Back