Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the tank officially part of the frame, it was time to take it outside for the first real profile shots! I'm even more stoked about converting this Columbia frame! I love the way the rack and the headlights play off each other and slash through the curves. :happy:

a384dea9-9a41-42da-8c0d-05f4f06c61c6_zpsncrxtsdx.jpg

9c190f66-5622-4c38-9eb7-9a44671805d5_zpslbenmvda.jpg
Awesome! I was hoping that the lines would match well with the rack! Spot on TRM! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Looks great on this frame.
I can see how the tank has a lot to grab to on the front of the frame, but how is it held in place at the seat tube? I know with Raceliner it wrapped around, but on this frame is it just held by tension?

Looks great on this frame.
I can see how the tank has a lot to grab to on the front of the frame, but how is it held in place at the seat tube? I know with Raceliner it wrapped around, but on this frame is it just held by tension?
It fits snugly around the front half of the seat tube. With the front clamped around the head tube and top tubes, I believe the trailing end could actually not be connected at all and it would still be tight. As I was moving it around yesterday, i was carrying it by the tank like a handle on a suit case and it was solid!

I like it, want to see more!

I don't have much more to show yet, but here's an interesting picture that I took straight at the top of the frame.:)

100_9384_zpszqmtfvqx.jpg

Looks like a rocket ship!!!
Your description makes sense when I remember how beefy the fiberglass is on these bad boys.

With the tank officially part of the frame, it was time to take it outside for the first real profile shots! I'm even more stoked about converting this Columbia frame! I love the way the rack and the headlights play off each other and slash through the curves. :happy:

a384dea9-9a41-42da-8c0d-05f4f06c61c6_zpsncrxtsdx.jpg

9c190f66-5622-4c38-9eb7-9a44671805d5_zpslbenmvda.jpg
Wow!

Great lines for sure... Add some little fins or taillight pods to that rack and you'd have something that even Harley Earl would be proud of!

Wow!

Great lines for sure... Add some little fins or taillight pods to that rack and you'd have something that even Harley Earl would be proud of!
Oh, there you go, invoking Harley Earl. (Picturing the choir singing "Randolph Scott" in BLAZING SADDLES)

Hey, Ren... What do you use to join the tank halves together? I would imagine it to be a hollow piece of tubing that you would run your bolt through that would keep tightening pressure from cracking the tank.

It fits snugly around the front half of the seat tube. With the front clamped around the head tube and top tubes, I believe the trailing end could actually not be connected at all and it would still be tight. As I was moving it around yesterday, i was carrying it by the tank like a handle on a suit case and it was solid!

I don't have much more to show yet, but here's an interesting picture that I took straight at the top of the frame.:)

100_9384_zpszqmtfvqx.jpg
'59 Impala tailfins added come to mind.
59%20Impala.png

Looks like a great build here. Love the idea of the speedy cruiser with TRM touch.

I put one of those bb adaptors on a stingray and I had to clean up the inside of the shell a bit with a sanding drum. The adaptor also bottomed out inside the bottom bracket before the outer lip was all the way tight to the outside but the width was right.

Thanks sensor, Kevin, kingfish and kingsting!

Oh, there you go, invoking Harley Earl. (Picturing the choir singing "Randolph Scott" in BLAZING SADDLES)
Gowjobs, that cracked me up! I could picture everyone with their hats off and the chorus singing "Harley Earl". :21:

Roadwarrior, I definitely see the Impala similarity. That gives me ideas for creating a fiberglass rack along those lines at some point! I'll get a picture of the fasteners in the tank when I get the time.

Thanks Chad T, I'll be sure to check the depth before I press anything together.

Hey, Ren... What do you use to join the tank halves together? I would imagine it to be a hollow piece of tubing that you would run your bolt through that would keep tightening pressure from cracking the tank.
This is a good question, thanks for asking.

I finally had a chance this afternoon to get a picture of the fasteners for the tank. After eliminating several ideas in the developmental stages early into this, I decided on using stainless steel machine screws and coupling nuts to bolt the halves together. One side is first put together with a jam nut against the coupling nut and the other side screws into that. I've not seen any indication that the fiberglass is compromised from tightening the screws together. I suppose if someone torqued it ridiculously tight it would cause problems, but a reasonable tightening holds it together nicely. Also, the glass is pretty thick so it would take a fairly good effort to crack it.

100_9399_zpscghvd8cy.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back