Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this BB converter last week and tried to install it. I don't know why but the BB opening is too small for it to go in. I tried it on a Spaceliner frame and it was just a little tight, but seemed like it would go in even though I didn't try to fully press it in.
$_57.JPG

Are all of these converters a standard size? The ones that I have looked up online don't give the actual measurement. They usually just say something like 'for converting an American bottom bracket into a Euro bottom bracket'.

Any advise is appreciated before I try filing this one down!
I used one on Switch-a-roo and had to grease it first. Make sure you have the proper side on the chain ring side.

- by Gigmata

OK, here's the last installment of the tank fitting. These are just a few pictures of the openings with the frame.
Tank%20fit%20pix_zps52myegxm.jpg

I missed the mark just a little under the seat tube end, but overall I'm very satisfied with how it fits. :)
This was strung out over several days but all totaled I'd say I spent a good half day or better getting it to fit right. I tend to slow down and try to double check every thing I do at this stage. Any goofs can be repaired, but I'd rather take a little more time and try to get it as close to right as possible.
Perfect fit nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got this BB converter last week and tried to install it. I don't know why but the BB opening is too small for it to go in. I tried it on a Spaceliner frame and it was just a little tight, but seemed like it would go in even though I didn't try to fully press it in.
$_57.JPG

Put one in a Spaceliner today. First, I had to dremel inside the bb to allow the bolts to pass thru the gusset and tubing ends. Second, I would strongly suggest running a Dremel lightly thru the shell where the cups press in. It seems like their going to slip right in till you get about 1/2 way, then it gets tight. I forced them in patiently in hopes they will never creak, but a smidge more clearance would have been nice. Since the bolts need to line up, and it goes together 1 cup at a time take extra care to line the 2nd cup up right. Mine moved slightly, and I had to put a little pressure on the last screw to bend it in place. Lastly I found that getting the cups in all the way was alot to ask for, and they sat a little out of sink from each other. I tried a sealed UN55 bb, and due to slight misalignment the inside of the alloy cup got a bit of a shave. So, I pressed the cups once again putting pressure to one side to get the cup to sit a bit more flush. I then decided to use a vintage 3 piece bb to allow a little wiggle room getting the cups in. Needless to say it was a PITA!

I'll be posting this on my build thread as well. Solaris: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/solaris.92070/page-2

Thanks for all of the good advice on the BB adapter. I'm thinking about ordering one of the three bolt adapters and see if it fits any better before I start butchering this one.

I need to add one more detail to the tank fitting. I just got around to doing this today. As it turns out, the front mounting hole lines up perfectly with the frame. The problem is that it needs to clear the frame.:( I very carefully chose the hole locations so that this would not be an issue, but that was for a Spaceliner frame and not this Columbia.

So today I relocated the holes. Had I known this I wouldn't have drilled the standard holes, but I'll fill them in before the body work starts. I also made a template in case either I or someone else needs a tank to fit a Columbia bike in the future.

tank%20bolt%20holes_zpsqqspcozn.jpg

I am behind on watching.
Where in thread do I locate the pics ?
Or do you have a video,bro.?
I don't have a video, but here are all of the pics that I have so far.

Forward thinking is always a good idea. Looking forward to seeing more.
I wasn't thinking very forward when I bought these brakes this week on ePay. The side pull won't work with the tank in the way. :blackeye: I believe the rear will work though. I'm now wondering how to get brakes for the front wheel without the tank being an issue. Maybe some BMX type brakes.:39:

100_9423_zps3zxg2pvc.jpg

Perhaps a disc brake maybe??? You would have to figure out what caliper mounting options are. This is a Shimano 36h. They have a 32 as well. Check them out on Evil Pay.
Front%20disc%20hub.jpg

I wasn't thinking very forward when I bought these brakes this week on ePay. The side pull won't work with the tank in the way. :blackeye: I believe the rear will work though. I'm now wondering how to get brakes for the front wheel without the tank being an issue. Maybe some BMX type brakes.:39:

100_9423_zps3zxg2pvc.jpg

Thanks man.that helped a bunch.
Looking good. :113:

100_9423_zps3zxg2pvc.jpg
After I posted my suggestions I went back and looked at the pictures you have and I guess I spaced out that it is the cable that would be the issue... So, with that in mind would you consider drilling a hole in the tank to run the cable through or is that something you would rather not do? I don't think it would be an issue if you had enough slack that it would not bind when moving the handle bars far L&R.:39:

So Jim can you reverse the pull on the front brake like they do on the rear on girls frames or does the caliper itself interfere with the Tank ?
Mark

A Potts Mod (hollow) stem bolt for a freestyle bike would let you run the cable straight through the steerer tube and out the bottom. Doesn't look like it would be easy to reverse the brakes you have but a BMX or a 1980's sidepull from a lightweight would be easy enough to switch...

Thanks for all of the great suggestions ya'll. The Potts mod is a perfect solution to routing the cable! I didn't know that it even existed!

I think that would work with this caliper brake.
$_57.JPG

Adding a fender will be the next challenge.:43:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back