Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as a reminder, I went back and found this picture taken on the day that it arrived at my door!

Original%20Frame_zpsxmxxbbl4.jpg

One of Marianne's cats (Alfred) posed for a cameo just long enough for this one shot and then got up and went back to what he was doing. She also has a black cat (Stieglitz) that sniffed the bike good but didn't pose.

Alfred_zpspopxpvuz.jpg

Thanks guys.
I rode it around for a while this afternoon. There's a fairly steep hill close by and it climbed it easily with the internal low gear. I got a little concerned on the trip back down though. It's pretty fast on those 700c tires. I was worried about getting too fast before making sure that everything is road tested for a while.

I'm having problems getting the rear derailleur dialed in. I haven't been able to get it to move over all eight cogs. I can adjust it to get either 1 through 7 or 2 through 8. I'm starting to have doubts about the grip shift.

Other than that, everything is functioning good!

Thanks guys.
I rode it around for a while this afternoon. There's a fairly steep hill close by and it climbed it easily with the internal low gear. I got a little concerned on the trip back down though. It's pretty fast on those 700c tires. I was worried about getting too fast before making sure that everything is road tested for a while.

Good idea to get the brakes dialed in at least. Should have plenty of braking power with what you have on there.

I'm having problems getting the rear derailleur dialed in. I haven't been able to get it to move over all eight cogs. I can adjust it to get either 1 through 7 or 2 through 8. I'm starting to have doubts about the grip shift.

Did you use indexed shifter cable? (compresionless). Not sure if that could be it but it's a possibility. The metal part of the housing should run along the length of the cable instead of in a spiral.

This bike really looks fantastic. You've taken the function/cool to a whole new level. :thumbsup:

It does have correct cable housings. I have another gripshift that is specifically made for the Duel Drive that I'm going to swap out to see if that's the problem. Just didn't feel like working on the bike today after the pace of the last couple of weeks.
I may try to get a ride video tomorrow before I do anything to it. I ran out of time for that before the deadline.

That could be it. If your derailleur is the SRAM 1:1 type you probably do need a different shifter. The SRAM shifter you have on there is made to work with Shimano derailleurs (at least the one like it that we have is).

Ride vid would be cool! Really love this bike and this was a great thread to watch.

Edit: I just looked at your parts list and see it says SRAM 1:1 derailleur on there. You'll need a SRAM 1:1 shifter. Sounds like you have one so that's good.

Last edited:
That could be it. If your derailleur is the SRAM 1:1 type you probably do need a different shifter. The SRAM shifter you have on there is made to work with Shimano derailleurs (at least the one like it that we have is).

Ride vid would be cool! Really love this bike and this was a great thread to watch.

Edit: I just looked at your parts list and see it says SRAM 1:1 derailleur on there. You'll need a SRAM 1:1 shifter. Sounds like you have one so that's good.
+1, would love to see a ride video! It looks great in the picture but i bet on the street it look out of this world.

+1, would love to see a ride video! It looks great in the picture but i bet on the street it look out of this world.

OK, you wanted it, so here it is. This was done very quickly so excuse the poor audio.

Latest posts

Back