Columbia Newsboy Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got this today off of board member JD56. Columbia Newsboy Special. The original paint faded almost uniformly leaving the olive drab primer exposed. There are still some visible pinstripes on the fenders. I had started breaking it down before I took the pick bit all the parts are there. Its just going to get cleaned up and clear coated to preserve it. It has a Mattatuck rear hub, anyone know anything about them? Its gonna need a rebuild. Serial number appears to be K072632, which I believe would make it a '61.
7ureheby.jpg

Got it ....good.
pictures I took when I found this one.
I was thinking it was a 63....I'll have to check Mr Columbia's website site for the serial.

Here is a few more pictures before you got it.

ujuvutug.jpg

ubumyqy7.jpg

u4ydyqa3.jpg

3a6y7y9a.jpg

Ran into Todd when I was picking it up. He has a set of lenses for the tail reflector i can have. It broke down pretty easy but the rear hub needs rebuilt.

Yewh, I.think these were offered in 2 paint schemes only ....black with white or red with white.
Coming along I guess Kim? Soon to be seen on the "Rusty Sprocket" bar crawl scene.
Which is when for the next one?

It's all about the Tanklights!!

How did I run out of room so fast?

Yeah. Should be on the road by Tuesday. Wheels will still need some replacement spokes down the road and I think I have to tweak the indentions in the fenders to fit the Fat Franks. Hopefully putting the rear hub back together tonight. Broke of the lenses in the tail light though. Todd said he thought he had some though.

Yeah, this thing is a tank. Almost rideable, didn't pick up a chain on the way home today. Torn down, cleaned, greased and sealed with Penetrol. Had a killer old seat i wanted to use but the top pan was too far gone. Anyone remember who was making the custom replacement leather covered pans?

On the seats....There is Bob U's spectacular work. Bobcycles and pm him through that logon.
Not real fast on the finished project but considering his reputation for doing amazing work....time only equates to perfection.
Let's see the pic you posted earlier this week on FB.

That looks really great. Brick red grips would look nice. Not sure where to get em though, ahem :))

As you know I have had a few Columbia's but this Drab green color is a weird concoction that only time can produce. I doubt it was the primer used at the Cloumbia asssembly plant. But, clearly a nice survivor.
Great job bring him back to life Kim.

Latest posts

Back