Compax Traveler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to Rat Rod Bikes and old bicycles and was encouraged by a guy I work with to enter the build off. He picked up this frame for me at a swap meet in Tennessee. My first effort will be a Westfield Columbia Compax folding bicycle. I'm in the process of stripping the paint and repairing a few minor battle scars. I'm hoping to find original handle bars and seat to go along with the build. This cool bike will be finished off with black paint and a few rusty spots giving it an aged look.
IMG_0485_zps6nge3eo5.jpg

Cool. I've be pondering doing up and old Dahon folding bike that I never ride. You just might give me the motivation to do it. Good luck.

Welcome to RRB and the Build Off
Those older folders are cool
Have fun

Welcome and a nice start!

I've got a Sears breakdown bike ( not really a folder) waiting in the wings....

Progress is slow so far. I had to repair the frame where apparently something was rubbing against it. My amateur brazing skills worked out for the most part. There are a couple of wormholes and a small portion of the crack still visible. The forks were bent and needed straightening. fortunately, no other brazing was required. Hopefully work can progress a little more steady.
Not much to show so far. I have the paint stripped off and some minor cleaning is needed.
IMG_0561_zpsj6udiezm.jpg

IMG_0560_zpsvqhbez5j.jpg

IMG_0562-1_zpszgx8bmsj.jpg

IMG_0565-1_zpsppcybf0l.jpg

Welcome to the jungle!! Now get ta building. Peace

Yes, the crack has to be filled. It would bug me too bad if I didn't. No luck on the handle bars or the chain guard.

After a lot of paint stripper and elbow grease I've managed to remove all paint from the frame. Instead of painting I'm going to try gun bluing. I've seen others online and really like the looks of it. I'm still searching for a set of handlebars that came with this type frame. If anyone has any leads please send them my way.
100_9406_zpsr1dzpdoh.jpg

100_9403_zpse1ft4nvg.jpg

100_9405_zpsgfktalws.jpg

100_9404_zpstnjebdjl.jpg

Great photos. There is an elegant beauty about the simplicity of this design in bare metal.

Latest posts

Back