RRBBO13 Completed: "One To Five" 1967 Sears Spyder 5-speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm editing this because Steve begged me to enter the RBBO. (ok, maybe that's a lie) So... here I am with a project I just started last week. I've never entered an RBBO since I work, almost exclusively, on muscle bikes. But I did have a grand muscle bike project in mind. @GuitarlCarl challenged me a while back to not just do a restoration, but to just go all out on something, so I am. The problem is... this project I have in mind is going to take a fair bit of funds. I was going to sell a couple restorations to fund it, but I got behind. This is one of those projects. So, now I'm aiming for the MBBO in October.

Anyway, this isn't anything special, but it's a resto-mod, vice a straight restoration, so why not throw it in the RBBO. This bike came as part of a package deal. Incomplete, so I needed some parts. I prefer the look of a 5-speed muscle bike, so... since I had to get parts anyway... might as well modify it.

This is what it WOULD have looked like. The bike was in pieces, so I never took a "before" photo.

sASihu.jpg

Last edited:
I build the wheels on new spokes after I polished the hubs and rims. Added the tires. Sorry, no pictures of that process.

The original fenders were toast. A previous owner had scrubbed them with steel wool, probably to remove rust, but they removed the chrome too. I had a braceless set, so I tried it out...

5ttfZR.jpg

I found a set of original fenders, so I got those in and tried them out.

iYyJJr.jpg

Reviews have gone both ways on which look better. I think I'm leaning towards the original set, although it looks like the brace is a little short, pulling the fender down to the tire a little too much, so I think I'm going to find a little longer brace. Also, it looks like the edge of the fender isn't meeting the edge of the chain guard. That will all have to be worked out.

I've started putting the drive train together. I'm using all new bottom bracket and head set parts for the bearing surfaces, I just need to get them to work with the other parts. I've had to shave a couple bolts around the freewheel area, because they weren't designed for a 5-speed. But that's the kind of thing I'd expect from this kind of modification.

TdIFzP.jpg

Got the brakes and fenders all built and dialed in. I'll leave out the details, but that was a lot more fab work than I had anticipated. Found out I need a shorter kick stand, so that's on the way, and a couple more odds and ends to make it right. The shifter parts are taking an Evaporust bath, so that will be my next big thing. I'm building a shifter from derelict parts of other shifters.

32545733_10160416710250344_5590869391467085824_n.jpg

You may not be able to tell, but the original fender brace on the rear fender seemed too short. Maybe this new tire is thicker? Regardless, I didn't like the look of it pulling down on the tire, even at max height. So... I swapped the fender brace for a slightly longer one. I had to modify the mounts so it would clear the derailleur, but I think it looks a lot better.

New brace looks good. It's those details that make the difference. Sweet bike. Love the sprocket/guard combo on there.

I built the shifter from parts from 3 shifters to make a 5-speed click shift. It's all working well. I got the housing all cut, ferreled, and routed, so no surprises there. I worked out the reflectors in the rear... yeah... that's about it.

HvafiB.jpg

This bike is ready for tear down!

Next steps:

- Frame/fork prep for paint.
- Polish everything I haven't already polished... which is a good bit
- Paint
- Assembly
- Pictures
- Sell so I can afford Disneyland tickets! :D

Glad to see you jump in BO13.
It's always fun to watch your builds come to life.

I love those old banana seats with the white along the sides and the glitter vinyl top. I remember I had one when I was a lad that was white and red. Are any manufacturers making them like that these days?

Glen.

Awesome! This is my favorite frame! I had several old bikes that I built (and wrecked) as a kid, and all of them used this frame! Noone in our neighborhood ever had any Schwinn stuff...

Awesome! This is my favorite frame! I had several old bikes that I built (and wrecked) as a kid, and all of them used this frame! Noone in our neighborhood ever had any Schwinn stuff...
Because Schwinns were the bikes all the kids wanted, they were scooped up by collectors. Now, years later, the "off brands" are becoming more and more popular. I'm really hoping this one is popular... because it's going to fund a Disneyland trip. ;)

Latest posts

Back