Coppertooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 46 CWC "Coppertooth"

I like the green, that was one of the options I looked at for my build.

Green it is, olive or avocado, I'm not sure what they call it, but it's Rustoleum gloss enamel. I may use the spray glue, but I've never attempted gluing fabric to fenders and these are peaked fenders to boot. My idea is to do glue down the middle first and then slowly glue the sides down and around to the underside. The fabric has some stretch so i think it'll work. I still haven't gotten any real work done, the bike isn't even torn down yet. And here in Fl, we are into the humidity now, until September.

Any progress???

Lots of progress. Been doing plenty of thinking about it. :lol:

Hunting for copper pop rivets. And how to straighten up the fender brace. I've got 4 days off, I may just get some work done. My bike hauler (83 F100) has been taking up a lot of time, rebuilt a Hurst shifter and installed it, no more 3 on the tree. Motor work to seal up some oil leaks, but now it's GTG, so I have time for the bike.

I held off lighting the lamp so I could get some work done. Completely torn down now. The frame is in great shape and was red originally. None of that left except on the inside of the frame. The bearings and everything are in very good condition, Hartford? brand. The sprocket will need some cleanup.

2my40gj.jpg

mcyelt.jpg

A little more progress. Made up an insert of cardboard and laid it out on the copper, along with the sprocket. I'm debating whether to go with exhaust pipes or teeth on the insert, I think both together would be overkill. First a nap, then some cutting.

vyktxj.jpg

2zjf5dz.jpg

Did some cutting and finished up the cranks. The chrome isn't all there, but it is 1946 chrome.

2wd3x3l.jpg

The Hi-Fi (59 Eico HF-81) was rocking today while I added the copper backing plate:

ixb0oh.jpg

It's the copper back chainring that's ROCKIN!!!!!

Picked up some fabric for the seat and some copper wire. Got the blank cut out and scrounged a big copper cup.

316nluo.jpg

that chain ring is awesome! Are you going to let it get the green patina on it over time? that would look cool as well.

Frame change

Green copper patina. That's what I have had in mind for the teeth in the tank also, with a little help with green paint. I calculated what it will need, along with the application of the fabric to the fenders, and realized I'll never make the deadline. I will complete this, as it's got the most potential of any build I've ever done. I'm going to do it right. But not in time, so a frame change is in order. And what a coincidence, I just picked up a Dyno roadster frame! So this is what I'm going to enter as my entry, this Dyno frame and these 3G wheels I picked up here along with 3" tires. The tire won't fit in the springer so that's a dilemma. I need to think of a name too.

2q1rq8m.jpg

How about Dynosaur?

Maybe go to the anything goes category and stretch it about 6-8 inches! :mrgreen: Stretch it to the limit!

Nighthog

I'll call it Nighthog. It will be mostly blacked out. Also it'll have a wide theme, with 3" tires. It has some rust on the springer that will have to sanded smooth and covered with black paint, as will parts of the frame. Some of the Dyno decals are good so they will stay. Actually I'll just be touching up the gloss black for the most part. I have the set of 24" G3 red wheels, but I also have a pair of 26" Kenda flames. I'll compare to see what works better. I'm going to try to widen the forks by adding a spacer on either side of the spindle. Has anyone tried that before? The 3" tires needs about a half inch to be clear of the forks.

Re: Nighthog

Wildcat said:
I'll call it Nighthog. It will be mostly blacked out. Also it'll have a wide theme, with 3" tires. It has some rust on the springer that will have to sanded smooth and covered with black paint, as will parts of the frame. Some of the Dyno decals are good so they will stay. Actually I'll just be touching up the gloss black for the most part. I have the set of 24" G3 red wheels, but I also have a pair of 26" Kenda flames. I'll compare to see what works better. I'm going to try to widen the forks by adding a spacer on either side of the spindle. Has anyone tried that before? The 3" tires needs about a half inch to be clear of the forks.

Yep, I did that on Brat Rod when I put 20x3's on it. you can also flip the fork legs to the outside of the crown if you need a bit more and add a few more washers and longer bolt at the spindle joint.

P2070474.jpg

Thanks! That helps alot, I won't be bending and destroying things now. I think I have everything I need to get it done in time.

Latest posts

Back