Costa Rican Raleigh?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy!

I was in Costa Rica all last week for work. Part of that required doing some car trips in the back roads of Costa Rica - going to a couple of small towns to see a lead recycler and a cement kiln. Costa Rica is a pretty rural country and not many people have a lot of money so you see a LOT of bikes there. Mostly crappy beach bikes and cheapy suspension mountain bikes.

Imagine my surprise when I see (what I think was) an old Raleigh Chopper or possibly a similar Sears bike! I was driving with clients so I couldn't turn the rental car around and get a better look or picture... but it was cool!

It didn't look nice enough to be a reproduction and I doubt a costly reproduction would be put into "road" use in a sleepy little Costa Rican town. I'm kicking myself for not having a camera handy!

Canadian tire sells Raleigh Choppers with a single person seat (I guess as to not let people double ride) I wonder if it was one of those? Also Eaton's department stores in Canada had a Raleigh Chopper back in the day, and was rebadged as a Eaton's Fastback. Too bad you did'nt get a picture.

Vroom

Latest posts

Back