Cotter Pin Cranks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Does anyone know if you can replace cotter pin cranks in old Raleighs with a 3 piece crank? Or is their BB set up proprietary allowing only the use of their cotter pin cranks?

Thinking about getting a Raleigh frame, but the cranks are missing.

Thoughts?

Cottered crank Raleigh's most often had the 26 tpi thread bottom brackets not the standard British 24 tpi. You would have to retain the original cups and source a spindle with the correct bearing width.

The cheapest solution is to use salvaged cranks and parts off another Raleigh. If you want to upgrade to cotterless and cartridge type bottom brackets, you can do that if you are willing to spend more money.

http://sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html

I had a rod-brake roadster with a 71mm wide (left to right) 26tpi BB shell; I used the technique Sheldon laid out in that link, with the original cups, loose balls, and an old JIS spindle from an 80s roadbike; worked perfectly for me. It's tough to get it right, due to the differing shell width (68 vs 71mm); I had to run the adjustable cup almost all the way in, which made it difficult to get the lockring on, but once I got it dialed in, no issues....

But whatever you gotta do, DO IT. Cottered cranks are such a headache...

Latest posts

Back