Cottered Crank.....

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by ratrodtrikes44, Jan 14, 2020.

1. ratrodtrikes44

ratrodtrikes44

Reading that cottered cranks can be hard to get off. Was going to lube bottom bracket on my '70 Raleigh Sports.
    Only because I don't know when or if ever the previous owner or owners ever did.
    It pedals smoothly and no noise. Should I leave or attempt it?
    Thanks. ctcrk.jpg

2. RustyGold

RustyGold

There is no magic...go for it! :thumbsup:

3. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    One side off is all you need to grease it but it's better if you can get both off. I once had to drill the center of them out on an old Hercules as they were stuck so bad that I couldn't get them off. I guess in desperation you could take your seat off and dump heavy oil in there to douse the BB and then drain it out. I have one of these. No LBS have this tool. The hard part is getting replacement cotters as they are of poor quality and not specific enough for and exact replacement with out filing the flats. Keep and reuse your cotters if possible. s-l640.jpg

RustyGold likes this.
  4. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

I have used DuPont Teflon White Lithium Grease in the spray can to get in tight spots. Got to shake it up real good goes in like oil then sets up inside bearings.

Wildcat likes this.
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat

I agree with horsefarmer. I would get one of those cans of the white lithium with the straw spray and spray a bunch in the gap between the cup and spindle to get it to the bearings. Then the cotters stay good. After a little riding, the bearings might need a little adjustment.

[​IMG]

6. Grant

Grant

Put the bike in a vice grip. Put a spanner socket over the non threaded and and clamp it into the vice. Screw the nut on the non threaded end so it is 3 threads on the pin. Put the nut on the other side of the clamp. SQUEEZE! You can do this with a hand held vice or if you have one screwed on your bench, take the wheels off and lift the frame onto it. Bikemanforu has a video on it.

7. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

I guess I tried to fix bikes with cotter cranks a couple of times and it was always unsuccessful. So I don't mess with them. Actually if it is smooth and quiet I would leave it alone. :thumbsup:

8. pebblewurm

pebblewurm

Cottered cranks were the standard 80 years or so, proof that they do work well. You do need to file the cotters to fit, make sure you have the right size/diameter cotters and use a press to install them- just tightening the nut does not draw them in as tightly as they should be. A press also makes removing old cotters painless. Bikesmith Design has a good compact press which works better than most home made contraptions:
    http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/

9. ratrodtrikes44

ratrodtrikes44

Leaving it alone.....thanks!

horsefarmer likes this.