Couldnt resist the fatty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Well... I vowed to never buy a beast because I was not a fan of the frame design and always had other things that I wanted to blow $200 on....
This morning on my daily journey thru craigslist posts I stumbled upon a "Broken Beast". Figured I would call and chat on it for a moment. Seller explains that he rode it for a month this winter and then the rear hub locked up.... 2 hours later I went to pick it up. He had the coaster hub in pieces and showed me the 2 brake shoes telling me that "IT" had broken in half and he couldn't find a new "tube".... I tried to explain the hub and parts a bit but he didn't seem to care and just wanted it gone. :crazy2:
So I am now the proud owner of a beast. I guess I will clean and reassemble the coaster to find out what issue he may have been experiencing. I will then stretch and customize to fit my taste a bit better. Stay tuned

Nice. can you keep us up to date -my beast coaster did the same thing and after getting a warranty refund from WallyWorld it's still sitting in the garage. I'm not much if a 'mechanic' but would be interested in what you do. I'm also working on the beefy beast burrito thread. Thx

I'll bet the crank bearings need attention. Hopefully the cups aren't cross threaded.

well I did mess a bit with it last night. Cleaned and regreased the coaster hub. Put wheel and chain back on and it now freewheels both ways. Leaned it against the wall in the shop and went to bed.:39:

I don't really have much time to mess with it at the moment but I am sure I will be drawn back to it soon..... as a side note, Man this bike is huge. Talk about an elephant in the room. How my wife walked past it all night and never noticed is beyond me.

Well it was as suspected.. the three drive tangs in the inside of the rear sprocket had been stripped out. I presume he had the hub over tightened and this put undo stress on the poorly made sprocket as he attempted to ride. I ordered and tried a 22 tooth and it felt like I was just running in place.... found another stock beast rear sprocket and installed....
I have built a whole bunch of bikes in my time and have never had one get as much attention as this beast. I had the entire neighborhood blasting thru yards and streets on this thing. It is very hard to stay on the roadway with the constant urge of climbing over things with the huge tires. All in all very cool bike for the money. I love cheap thrills.

Here is the before in stock condition. I have parts on order for a minor transformation to be updated later in the week.

20140725_204114_resized.jpg

people that I don't know rode my Beast more than I did. Ha! Always being stopped, "What is that?" It was a fun bike. My new Comp is just as much.

Did the greasing and frame paint. Added a cruiser saddle and post. Still not a very easy bike to ride for long distance but fun to bomb around the neighborhood. Also received the new rear wheel from Pacific on Friday.

20140801_220513_resized.jpg

20140801_204214_resized.jpg

may move up a few teeth on the front sprocket, ride it for a short while and then sell it. Then again I might get a wild hair and start chopping it up :grin:
There are some pretty cool chopped up ones out there now, would love to see your take on it!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back