1. The forum software will be upgraded on Saturday (April 4). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

Couple of 700c single speeds I've been building

Discussion in 'ROAD & TOURING BIKES' started by Carbon, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Carbon

Carbon

Every year when the temp starts dropping I feel the need for speed, in years past I would pick me up a nice road bike but I've come to hate a janky ole derailleur, never can get the adjustment just right to use all available speeds without any noise or rubbing, at least on anything more then a 6 speed. This year I've picked up a couple of 700c single speeds, not fixies, single speeds with a freewheel. First one is a NOS 2010 520 Reynolds chromoly Specialized Langster, I picked this one up locally as a frameset. Put a set of triple wall wheels with sealed bearing formula hubs and a Lasco crankset, super nice and fast. Second one, I ordered, a chrome pure fix. I put a Sugino Pista crankset on it and fitted it with a Kinesis Carbon 2 race fork last night with a new set of 23c tires, came with 28c. Both bikes are super nice and dialed in, very quick with the 48/16 gearing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Road bikes are not normally my thing, but I would rock either of those any day! Really nice!

Luke.

3. Carbon

Carbon

Thanks man, not a roadie myself but I do like a fast bike. You'd never catch me in spandex!!:21:

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  4. ifitsfreeitsforme

ifitsfreeitsforme

Those are hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rickpaulos

rickpaulos

yeah? You'd never catch me in spandex cause I'm too fast!

6. mikeeebikey

mikeeebikey

which one rides better?
    Great looking bikes. I actually prefer the old triangles aesthetics, function over fashion.

7. Carbon

Carbon

Thanks fellas, I've always preferred the older bikes as well and do still have a couple of cool old Schwinn Racers, just cant' find the older frames with the straight true track dropouts, hard to say but I think the Langster rides a little better, super smooth and just rolls forever.

8. jerrykr

jerrykr

Both are super sweet!

9. Carbon

Carbon

Thanks Jerry!!

10. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Cool. After working on my Winter Build-off bike, The Difference Engine, Ive been contemplating doing that to my roady. I've got an old Cannondale T400 that spends 99% of the time in one gear. It's light, I ditched the drops long ago, so it's comfy on my old back. I laughed when you mentioned spandex. We have some of "those guys" around here and I love to shadow them. I see em' peekin' at me and shiftin' up like they're gonna lose me... Haha this old hippie ain't havin' any of that! After a mile or so they usually stop and when they see what I'm on we get to talking, it's all fun.

Carl.

mikeeebikey likes this.
  11. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)

They both look great! What kind of wheels are those?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014