Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

Discussion in 'BIKE TALK' started by outskirtscustoms, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

I don't think it's a joke. There's a few on the local area Craigslists around here as well. $200 and up?
    Hammerhead

2. NoControl

NoControl

A lot of people instantly equate anything Schwinn - regardless of age or antiquity - to mean money. Unfortunately, or perhaps seriously fortunately, a few of us know differently. Wife of No Control bought a Schwinn Airdyne a couple years ago, expecting it to be a good choice. It was total crap, as I expected. We sold it soon after.

3. NoControl

NoControl

Here's a good one...

[​IMG]

I'm no expert on old bikes, surely, but doubt that I would pay more than $75 for this bike, and that would primarily be just the frame, handlebars and seat. This guy sets a harsh tone right at the start. I usually avoid even contacting these types of ads. What do you guys do?

horsefarmer likes this.
  4. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

I agree with the harsh tone bit. Anything used has to be as - is and make an offer as it it is used any anything can happen. All this no low ball stuff is crap. People need to understand this stuff. When I list anything for sale I know what I have in it and also what the item in the condition of my item has been sold for, not just what some nut thinks its worth and listed on the epay for that. Its always a negotiation. a buyer expects you to take time and spend $ to travel to look at and purchase the item. So play the game. Determine "what its worth" keeping in mind "what you have in it", "how much you used it" and "how bad you want it gone". Then add a fudge factor, something you can give the buyer when he sees the worn tire or paint scratch. But please Mr. seller, don't fill your ad with nasty, who wants to contend with that...:soapbox:

5. hammer mechanic

hammer mechanic

When you say "Barn Find" in your title, it tells me that you don't have much in the bike. I'd be in on this one for a hundred or less. I doubt I could talk him down that much.
    On the other hand, some folks lighten up when you call instead of text, so if you are local, it may be worth it to call and go see for yourself. Maybe he has some other bikes he would like to deal on.

NoControl likes this.
  6. RustyGold

RustyGold

It is pre-war...I think its worth at least a hundo. If it had a more interesting badge I would probably go look at it with no more than $160 in my pocket.

Jason

NoControl likes this.
  7. jayblok

jayblok

If it had the Legendary 65T Chainring ,it would be priceless ! (To Me) :21::113:
    [​IMG]

8. BobbyP413

BobbyP413

Anyone want a $1000 Schwinn Predator? Something makes me feel like he typed an extra 0 in there by accident [​IMG]

9. NoControl

NoControl

The ad is marked SOLD now, so someone must have met his price.

RustyGold likes this.
  10. BobbyP413

BobbyP413

If someone is near Ambler PA they should pick this up. I'll buy the chain ring off you if you do
    [​IMG]

11. BobbyP413

BobbyP413

I think we have a winner for the overpriced post of the day
    [​IMG]

12. Bike Bum

Bike Bum

Swellsville, USA. Where Everything Is Just Swell.
    I find these Schwinn exercise bikes all the time at thrift stores for $15-$25 bucks. Heck, I just dragged one out of my basement and into the barn a few weeks ago.

13. BobbyP413

BobbyP413

Everyone that's in a reasonable distance to me wants far too much for them

14. jayblok

jayblok

Check your local thrift stores or find out who scraps metal in your area,that's how i found the majority of mine.

15. hammer mechanic

hammer mechanic

Extremely RARE Santa Riding Bike - $350 (Granite city il)
    01616_i1dSZemcyzk_600x450.jpg 00M0M_c9kKmJYdmfl_600x450.jpg
    AC/DC operated Animated and Musical Santa Riding Bike. Everything works except for 1 switch which is able to be fixed just dont have to time. You wont find another one on the market. Extremely RARE. $350 obo. NO SCAMMERS

There's only one scammer here that I can see...

horsefarmer, ferdy and handyandy1100 like this.
  16. Joe Monstermaker

Joe Monstermaker

Any ad that mentions “barn find” can be translated to the English “I’m trying to flip this junk at a big profit like I see on American Pickers”

Dr. Tankenstein likes this.
  17. Joe Monstermaker

Joe Monstermaker

18. handyandy1100

handyandy1100

OK, so this post is more a gripe than a nightmare. lol
    In the local FB Marketplace are two 3 speed coaster brake bikes for sale for around $30 each. Two different sellers. I have sent FB messages to both of them and neither have responded! :crazy2:

I don't particularly want the bikes, I just want to buy them to get the coaster brake 3 speed wheels for other projects.

19. Chuy

Chuy

Dizzle Problems likes this.
  20. jayblok

jayblok

Riding and BBQing :113:
    [​IMG]