Crank swap?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the cranks I have for my AMF build are bent and have a welded in pedal. Been searching on eBay for a new pair but I don't want "new" (ie Sunlite, etc) ones. I can't seem to find the ones I'm looking for. The ones I have seem to be longer than standard 6-1/2'' arms, they measure more to be about 6 -3/4'' or 7'' (175mm ish in metric) as well, from center to center.

Would it be worthwhile to swap the whole BB out and go for a set of Schwinn cranks? Since they're all over eBay. I know Schwinn use 28tpi and #64 retainers. My AMF uses the 24tpi standard with a #66 retainer. I wanna keep to a similar era as my bike, so around '62.

As far as IDing goes for my cranks, only markings I could find is an "O" and the number 3 on it. Which isn't much to go on, If I want to find the same cranks.

P_20201129_151048.jpg

So, the cranks I have for my AMF build are bent and have a welded in pedal. Been searching on eBay for a new pair but I don't want "new" (ie Sunlite, etc) ones. I can't seem to find the ones I'm looking for. The ones I have seem to be longer than standard 6-1/2'' arms, they measure more to be about 6 -3/4'' or 7'' (175mm ish in metric) as well, from center to center.

Would it be worthwhile to swap the whole BB out and go for a set of Schwinn cranks? Since they're all over eBay. I know Schwinn use 28tpi and #64 retainers. My AMF uses the 24tpi standard with a #66 retainer. I wanna keep to a similar era as my bike, so around '62.

As far as IDing goes for my cranks, only markings I could find is an "O" and the number 3 on it. Which isn't much to go on, If I want to find the same cranks.

View attachment 145044
These cranks bent pretty easy and that is a pretty common problem. Buy a used bike that has a similar crank, they are common and cheap. Girls bikes especially. Ride it to make sure it’s not bent. I’ve done this several times.

Remember i told you about someone on the CABE who has stuff like that? I can still put you in touch, i have bought a set of cranks like these from him few month ago :)

Remember i told you about someone on the CABE who has stuff like that? I can still put you in touch, i have bought a set of cranks like these from him few month ago :)

I should make a wanted ad on The CABE of stuff I want, lotsa goodies for sale on there. Though I think I'm gonna try out these cranks first. at least get the bike rolling. If they feel off, then I'll possibly post on The CABE for one, if the others I have aren't what I want.

These cranks bent pretty easy and that is a pretty common problem. Buy a used bike that has a similar crank, they are common and cheap. Girls bikes especially. Ride it to make sure it’s not bent. I’ve done this several times.

yea, I've got a couple spare sets of cranks I could probably use as is off other bikes, if it came down to it. I just like the shape of these ones, is all.

I should make a wanted ad on The CABE of stuff I want, lotsa goodies for sale on there. Though I think I'm gonna try out these cranks first. at least get the bike rolling. If they feel off, then I'll possibly post on The CABE for one, if the others I have aren't what I want.

yea, I've got a couple spare sets of cranks I could probably use as is off other bikes, if it came down to it. I just like the shape of these ones, is all.
Is it a dog leg crank your after? If not there are plenty of cheap old bikes that have cranks that look like the Schwinn Style. Anything before the 1980s.

Latest posts

Back