crap, another NEW guy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up gang, its nice to be here. My name is Tom and I am 30 years old. I have a long-running, SEVERE addiction to anything with wheels, but especially bikes! Unfortunately, im not super mechanically inclined but i try... I have been lurking here for quite awhile and finally decided to take the plunge and register.
I am married with 3 "kids" (2 cats and a 3 pound chihuahua!) and we also keep african cichlids. We am trying to start/run a freelance graphic design nad photo business as well as work in a factory full time (receiving clerk/forklift driver) and I am trying to go back to college in the fall... in the summer I love riding my mountain bike- Trek 4700 (just for fun, not competitively). I try to ride to work as much as possible when the weather is nice, but i dont like riding a fat-knobby-tired bike on the streets and sidewalks! SO... I have an old cantileved frame i want to build up as a cool commuter/cruiser. (will post pics after i drag it out of the shed) I would eventually really like an older straight bar frame built up board track style... anyway...
I also really really dig old style hot rods and Kustoms (i post on the HAMB as ka-zoo pretty frequently) but i can barely afford to put a bike together, yet alone a car project!

I have lots of questions my biggest one right now is: what would be the easiest, yet CHEAPEST way to get a multi-speed rear on my planned daily?
I look forward to lots of great conversation on here, Ive been folowing many of the RRBBO very eagerly!

-tomb
:lol:

hey! another designer? I am studying grpahic design right now, I really enjoy it. I really like photography too, they kind of come hand in hand sometimes. Do you have a website or anything link to your work? I have a really bad temporary website up with my portfolio.> theywillseeme

welcome, good luck on your bike

Another Michigander, welcome aboard. As a member of the Freak Bike Militia Great Lakes, we are planning to have a ride to coinside with the Ann Arbor bike swap at the end of April, we'd like to see you and any of your friends that may like to join us. Enjoy the ride...Kelly

hey tomb..
welcome..

I have found the easiest way to do a Multi Speed Conversion is to
buy a donor bike like "new dharma" said ..
you can get a nice little bike with an old 3 speed rear
for pretty cheap....

Then fix it up....or swap out rear wheels to your bike...

welcome to the Forum,
peace,
Kev.

thanks for the warm welcome, everybody!

Here is what I am probably starting out with:
unless I can swap it for an older straight bar bike (think hooch's rrbbo beauty) that my father in law may give up...
mybikeside.jpg

mybikef34.jpg

once I get that one done, its on to this little beauty for my wife:

melbikeside.jpg

thanks again, everyone.
Oh, nogoodnic- do you have any more info about that bike swap? I am definately interested!

I agree with the donor bike/three speed conversion. You'll (probably) get skinnier tires and a nice bomb proof drive train. If you have a choice, go for a Sturmy Archer AW (always works) vs. a SW (seldom works). Good tires would be a big plus too and worth paying a little extra for. I've pulled a number of three speeds out of dumpsters over the last year, nobody seems to want them.

The other way is to find a 5 speed wheel and derailer with a hanger that goes in the dropouts, run some cable and a shifter and you're golden. You'll need a new chain too. As for spacing, if the wheel is too wide you can spread the rear triangle, search sheldonbrown.com for details.

lots of good info, Thanks!

Kev, The red one says "westpoint" on the chainguard, are they the same? I like it because the lower cantilevers come to a point on the head tube.

October, The Girls says "Hawthorne", not rollfast like yours but the headlight assemblies look the same. knock-off or off brand maybe? also, note the flipped backward gooseneck from the short, previous owner!

Latest posts

Back