Crash's Bike Build page

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crash I just love your hard work on one of my favorite eras of bicycles. When the "rail" long top tube 20" and sometimes 24" wheeled bikes came on the scene in the 60's I was in Jr and Hi school and already a dedicated bicycle nut. I really loved the long top tube 20" bikes. They were usually sold at K mart back in the day. Good to see all the good work you have done on some of my favorite bikes from my childhood. Unfortunately I never owned nor rode one of these bikes as I was a 10 speed guy and just lusting after one of these was almost like sleeping with the enemy. But secret lust I did and will admit to today.

Man, every one of your builds turns out better than factory! You bring your A game with each bike you build! You've got a fantastic collection of builds here. Truly inspirational! Makes me want to dig through my small stash of muscle bikes and build something cool out of them.

Man, every one of your builds turns out better than factory! You bring your A game with each bike you build! You've got a fantastic collection of builds here. Truly inspirational! Makes me want to dig through my small stash of muscle bikes and build something cool out of them.
Thanks! I’d like to see that stash! ;)

Thanks! I’d like to see that stash! ;)
Ask and you shall receive! Like I said, it's a relatively small stash, with more girl's bikes than boy's bikes, but here's my stash of muscle bikes.

I couldn't find the "as found" photos of it, so here is my favorite mockup shot of my 1979 Schwinn Fair Lady that I attempted to turn into a "muscle trike" back in 2020.
BFtD_Poison_Apple163.jpg

Next is my 2nd attempt at a muscle bike build, with a 1960s/1970s Murray twin tube frame that I call The Prowler. I'm still working on it.
BftD_Rubies_6.jpg

Next is another twin tube frame, but this time it's a 1969 or 1970 Hawthorne I bought from the original owner.
BftD_ff31522_hawthorne_10.jpg

Next is a... I guess it's a quad-tube frame, but it's a 24" Sears Spyder 5-speed. Funnily enough, this bike cost the most for me to get out of all my muscle bikes. I traded a Schwinn straight bar I got for $40 for it and another frame! Everything else on this list I got for free or close to it!
BftD_ff_4-23-23_42.jpg

Technically, I'm building it as a BMX bike, but my current ORBO entry Mutt could easily be modified into a muscle bike.
BftD_mutt_tires_n_hbs_2.jpg

As for the rest pictured below, I got these either for free or in a trade. I got them mostly for the tube bends, but I do like the shape of that blue Huffy girl's bike, and that AMF Debutante would make a great conversion frame.
BftD_blue_huffy_1.jpg
BftD_Rubies_35.jpg
BftD_Rubies_41.jpg
BftD_2_western_flyers_13.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_4.jpg

Well, that's all the muscle bikes I have. Not as impressive as the ones you've built, but I think each one has some degree of potential.

An impossible question probably, but of all the bikes you've restored, do you have a favorite?

An impossible question probably, but of all the bikes you've restored, do you have a favorite?
The easy answer would be "Mine". The Super Slingshot I built for myself and I loved it, but circumstances forced me to sell it. I also built the King 'Cuda for myself, and I've kept that one. Love it. Those are easy answers. I've poured myself into every bike, but I think the one I'm most proud of so far is a toss up between the 442 and ConTENtious. Both took a lot of work and came out great.

Latest posts

Back