Cruiser / Klunker Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bike given to me. Its got an aluminum frame, and is under 29lbs stock.

IMG_1927_zpsd33e9a18.jpg

The plan is to build a lightweight cruise with a coaster brake, or a Klunker with hand brakes. Either way it will have a front shock. Last night I stripped the bike down and found that the stock headset cups were loose. I honed out the head tube a bit, and turned some 1 1/8 headset cups down a bit and converted the frame to 1 1/8 thread less.

Here is a pic of the frame, and where I am at right now:

IMG_1940_zps7982ed31.jpg

IMG_1941_zps46537814.jpg

Next step will be to strip the paint and decide if I'm going to spread the rear stays to accept a 135mm hub.

This bike is starting to be fun. Im really happy with how the paint came out. Its semigloss black and bare aluminum. I also widened the frame to accept a 135mm hub. So far all the parts on it are parts I already had. As it sits now its 18.8 pounds! Hoping to be under 25 pounds and under $100 spent when its done.

Here are a couple pics:

138C9687-E2BD-416C-9043-968B08A14787-1668-00000167649953B7_zps054c8273.jpg

030B1CAF-3D5A-4932-9879-9A0FA618046B-1729-000001793A92A68D_zps76357bbe.jpg

I got this bike on the road tonight. I decided to go single speed with a coaster break for simplicity and cost effectiveness. So far I have spent no money on it at all. I only used parts I already had. Current weight is 22.4 and I think I could drop another pound relatively easy.

It rides ok, but it has one BIG problem. It's got bad self steer. I need to figure that out. The tires are aired up, headset isn't too tight. This is the bike that had the slightly oversized head tube that I converted from 1" to 1-1/8".

It looks killer though!

E305D2D8-7CB1-41E2-BF90-68201A46A0D0-3677-000005E81347AA48_zps668d5204.jpg

Just went through the same thing with steering on my last build Non suspension corrected head tube angle and a suspension fork don't work out to well Definitely a killer look but not a good ride Switched over to a Surly 1x1 fork with some rake to it and now it rides perfect with almost the same look I really like what you've done so far with little money spent For me some of my best builds work out that way Grab what you have and start building
Heres a shot with the suspension fork

And a shot with the Surly fork

Interesting. So is it that the surly fork is shorter from the axle to crown? I have room to trim the bottom of the head tube about 1/4 inch. I wonder how much this would help?

Hi. Great build! Looks cool. I'm refurbishing the same aluminum cruiser for a buddy and was wondering if you know what the bottom bracket you used? I have a couple mtb ones Laying around and none seemed to fit. I wanted to upgrade it to a sealed bb instead of the stock style. Any info on the shell width, diameter, and spindle length? Thanks

i like this, Im doing somehing similar with a diamondback drifter 1.

I got this bike given to me. Its got an aluminum frame, and is under 29lbs stock.

IMG_1927_zpsd33e9a18.jpg

The plan is to build a lightweight cruise with a coaster brake, or a Klunker with hand brakes. Either way it will have a front shock. Last night I stripped the bike down and found that the stock headset cups were loose. I honed out the head tube a bit, and turned some 1 1/8 headset cups down a bit and converted the frame to 1 1/8 thread less.

Here is a pic of the frame, and where I am at right now:

IMG_1940_zps7982ed31.jpg

IMG_1941_zps46537814.jpg

Next step will be to strip the paint and decide if I'm going to spread the rear stays to accept a 135mm hub.
Nice build.......................... U got me thinking, about my 90-2K Aluminum Schwinn Panther, hmm as If I don't have enough builds going......lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

I used the stock bottom bracket. It's was in good shape, and I didn't have any laying around that would fit right.

This bike is about to get another major change....I'm going to make it into a FatTrike!

Interesting. So is it that the surly fork is shorter from the axle to crown? I have room to trim the bottom of the head tube about 1/4 inch. I wonder how much this would help?

None. That's not the problem. Google up some bicycle fork geometry.
I believe you have negative trail...

Carl.

I wonder if you could take the fork apart and use a pipe bender to put just a bit of kick in it above the section where the travel is? I have bent tube forks with a bender and it's actually pretty easy... It wouldn't take much to put enough bend in it to match the original forks amount of trail. Now, I wouldn't want to go hammering down a trail with my front fork that was supposed to be straight, bent a bit. One HARD landing and you're done, but it should be fine for cruisin'...

Carl

Latest posts

Back