CT Schwinn: Fender Comp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

Well, its been another build blast and now its done and dusted.

Always wanted a Coppertone Schwinn so I had to build one.
Please use this pic for the voting booth, thanks.
IMG_20160731_121918_hdr.jpg

First, I have to apologize for the pics, my camera is going wonky and none of the pictures are completely focused :eek::eek:. I’ll try again tomorrow with my Wife’s phone camera (its supposed to be real good).

The build thread is here:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/ct-schwinn-banana-banana.98200/

Here’s the Specs:
1962 Schwinn Typhoon Frame and chain guard
Repro tank painted body color and striped
Repro Sweetheart chain ring that got blacked out
Jerald Whitewall Slick rear tire 26” x2.125” and Duro WW 26”X 1.50” front
Black Aluminum rims that I blacked the hubs and spoke nipples.
48T x 22T gearing and heavy :rolleyes: , so its a good crusier

“26” inch bike banana seat with 2 white stripes
48” black sissy bar
Fabricated front and rear seat brackets and mounting (and blacked out)
Modified High rise handlebars into Medium rise

My Favorite Features (I hope you like them too:))

I like the way the banana seat covers up the tire but I made sure it didn’t cover the whitewall (It reminds me of a 60s Buick GS). I also tried to make it so the curve of the seat would mirror the curve of the tank. Plus I tried to get the sissy bar, seat tube, fork and handle bars all at (about) the same angle.
IMG_4023.jpg

I like the way the handle bars are medium rise and then come back. Most handle bars I looked at were ~30” wide and I didn’t want that. I made these 22” wide.
IMG_4072.jpg

I like the way the whitewalls “pop” against the black rims and the stance of the two different width tires. I think the white stripes on the seat and tank help pull the components together.
IMG_4061.jpg

I like that I can finally ride a low seat bike and that is sturdy and comfortable enough.
IMG_4037.jpg

So something funny happened when my wife was taking my ride shot. We finally got one that worked so I said she should try it. It took a couple of tries but she got the hang of it and she comes back laughing. I’m like what are you laughing about? She says “Its perfect for me!”. I said “No way, not again, this one I get to keep” LOL (She now calls 56T “Her bike”).
IMG_4041.jpg

Before picture, it was pretty rough…
IMG_2031.jpg

Glad I finally got this one built. I’ve been thinking about for a couple of years now. So I’ll have to have my Friend RustyK ride it now that its getting the "Love" it deserves :bigsmile:. It got some Love from Hipsters workers at The Hub (“Sweet bike”)
IMG_4043.jpg

To Roadies on the bridge ("Cool bike") to a little kid with just big eyes and smile: my favorite!
a261a2e6-f339-4345-980f-28a97de86c58.jpg

Might have RRB converted this Guy (at the far right) while his Wife took a picture for me (Thank You!) in front of the new super popular diner Hi Lo Diner (I guess Adele tweeted a picture from here)
IMG_4048.jpg

Well, I didn’t have time to go into so many details but I'll post some more pics soon.

Thanks a lot for all the likes and support!!:happy: RRBikers are the Best!!:113:
Lot of people made some really cool bikes with lots incredibly innovative ideas. :cool2::cool2::cool2:

Thanks Steve (Mr RRB himself) for continuing to have a high quality website so we can have so much fun!!!

And Thanks for looking
Steve

Last edited:
Steve, this is a beautiful ride! Your custom bars, paint color, striping, the dropped seat and your tire match.....it all works! Well done my friend!
:41:

Looks Cool, what paint did you use ?
How close to the OG. Schwinn color is it ?

Nice old school 26" muscle bike stile . Looks like a fun ride that will draw some attention for sure .

Cool, you can never go wrong with copper tone.

Thanks guys for all the comments and likes. I’ll try to reply to everybody plus post some new pics and details.

Thanks Odd Job, Looking forward to our ride

Thanks A.S.Boltnut. I’ll get into some more paint comments later. It’s Duplicolor Fire Mist Orange metallic. It was not what it was advertised as… It doesn’t look very coppertony, more like a flatter Rustoleum copper with a splash of orange. No metal flake, no gloss. I kinda like it but its way different then the sample they showed (see build thread). It was quite a bit cheaper so that’s why I tried it. It’s okay. I’m done ranting. I finally got the shot with my Wife’s phone that shows the actual color. The little cap screw is Rustoleum copper so you can see difference.
IMG_20160731_121825_hdr.jpg

Hey Matt, your right, it is a fun ride and it got some looks, Thanks

I like that Roadwarrior , Comfortably Cool, Yeah…

Thanks Scribble, I wish the color would have been a bit closer but its my “interpretation” as the artsy crowd says..

Thanks OneHorsePower!

Hey Dr. T, Thanks for the comments, I finally got one to work :whew::bigsmile:. I’ll have to take a picture but no more time today. Its pretty different. The Veloster is pearlescent (yellow undertones) orange that has metal flake and is glossy. Probably closer to a fancy version of Coppertone.

Thanks for the thumbs up KJV

I switched my voting picture because it is better focused and has less white lines in the background. I still like it but like the new one better.

Okay, so I went out today for more and better pics. This one is at the railroad track and grain silos.
IMG_20160731_114126.jpg

Minnehaha Avenue has all new bike lanes, Super Sweet
IMG_20160731_115538_rewind.jpg

I think this has almost the best focus I got (no photo funny stuff either)
IMG_20160731_114700.jpg

Held the camera as high as I could. I bet that looked pretty funny to the people in the park :bigsmile:
IMG_20160731_121504_rewind.jpg

I’ve got a few others that I save to later. Here are a few more from yesterday.

The new location for my glass block shot
IMG_4050.jpg

A cool pedestrian tunnel
IMG_4081.jpg

Hymie's Vintage Records
IMG_4046.jpg

Found a fellow rat rod biker, Basic and Cool
IMG_4083.jpg

I almost chose this one for my voting booth pic
IMG_4086.jpg

Here is some detail stuff

Paint comparison shot (a closer color might have been Testor's fiery orange)
CTcomp.jpg

Handle bars After and Before, Modified High rise to Medium with more sweptback angle and length
barcomp.jpg

Here is the rear and front seat brackets. I think they worked out well and kept the visual lines clean
seatbrackets.jpg

One more from the road.
IMG_20160731_112917.jpg

Good Luck to everyone on the contest part. Get out the vote, LOL!

Thanks for looking

Steve

Love the 'high angle shot' ....shows off the skunk stripe seat well. Good day for a ride....I was selling musical gear :( all day.

I have to admit that this one sort of snuck up on me. I love the final product! The one thing that stands out the most is the smooth shaved look. I remember back in the 90's when that was really the trend with cars. Remove any unnecessary trim, emblems handles etc. and paint the chrome black. Also, the yin yang between the tank and seat is just right. I might not have noticed it without you pointing out that it was purposeful. Sometimes we only notice when the lines are wrong and not when they're right. But that's a good thing! Job well done!

Thanks RM! :happy:. Yeah, it took a lot of planning to get the ying and yang right. Glad it was noticeable.

Per request, Dr T wanted to see the paint difference between CT Schwinn and my Veloster ("Vitamin C" pearlescent metallic) so I took a shot in the garage under fluorescent lights (maybe better in the sunshine but not enough time...)
You can see some similarities but the main differences are the yellow undertones in the pearlescent painted car. The bike looks more "coppery" and not as glossy or metal flake (but I still like it;))
IMG_4093.jpg

Now I want blacked out rims on my Veloster but probably not whitewalls :bigsmile:
IMG_4092.jpg

One other thing that maybe you guys picked up on. I actually put a kickstand on it :21:. I had cut off the Schwinn kickstand years ago (I've hated those things since I was a kid). So I painted an aluminum roadie kickstand the body color so it would at least blend in a little better and, I guess, hold up the bike :rolleyes:. If nobody noticed, perfect.

Almost closing time...
Steve

WOW!!! Hadn't been able to keep up with this one, but it turned out awesome.
Love the lay back sexyness of it.
It's like a mean hot rod lazy boy it looks so comfy.
I'd ride the heck out of that one!!
BRAVO man! Super build!

MAN I SHOWED THIS BIKE TO LOVE AND SHE SAID I'D RIDE THAT SO THAT'S TWO MRS'S THAT WOULD SNATCHED IT. YOU HAVE WON ALREADY.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks Chad T , Yeah, Muscle Cruiser...
Hot Rod Lazy Boy, Interesting,:happy:, Thanks Kingfish
I'm glad your Love liked the bike Jake. You're right, I already won.

So Funny Dr T, I'm like comparing the paint jobs and your like "They look good together", sometimes I miss the point:grin:, thanks.

I made a reference before about a 60s Buick fender and it was a bit "out there". So here is what I was talking about (thanks to Daytona Classics) is a 1968 Buick GS convertible. I always thought is was kinda cool to have a muscle car with a rear fender covering up part of the tire. Kinda a preview of all the Pro-Street and Pro-Touring looks years later. Anyway, hopefully the reference wasn't too subtle on the banana seat covering up part of the rear tire.

rearfendercomp.jpg

Here is another picture from my neighborhood.
IMG_20160731_122939_hdr.jpg

I'm so happy we have as many votes as we want!!! I think there are a lot of really cool bikes that I so glad I can vote for them all:happy:

Thanks for looking
Steve

Latest posts

Back