Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are laying low?
Hiding near the back o the pack...;)
You have something up your sleeves don't you Luke?o_O

Why are laying low?
Hiding near the back o the pack...;)
You have something up your sleeves don't you Luke?o_O
I can neither confirm nor deny... :21:

Actually I would love to be working on this one, but it is just too cold and humid to be spraying the graphics, and I don't know when the weather will break, so I don't want to mask them up too early and then have to wait an unknown amount of time before spraying them out...

I did have an idea to do a major rework to add disc brakes to it just this morning, but it would have to modify the frame and it is already powdered... :blackeye:

So, no, sleeves are almost empty on this one, just graphics and the name change to go, then assemble and ride...

Hopefully I do get a chance to do the paint section before the deadline.

I had a thought that I could put the paint and frame in a heated room, get them nice and warm, run them outside, spray it and bring it straight back into the room to dry, do you guys think that would work, or would the temperature and humidity difference cause condensation issues? We are only renting here, so I don't want to actually spray the paint inside like some have...

Luke.

Have you got an old box fan? build a card board and plastic sheeting paint booth and vent it out the backdoor. Put the fan right in the doorway and plastic the rest of the frame closed. Add cardboard wings and paint right in front of the fan. No fumes and the more cardboard and masking you have, the less mess. You could do the same thing with a window and a table... cardboard and visqueen paint booth, with an old box fan.

I have painted in the cold garage and brought it in to dry and it worked, but transportation between the two was a pain.

Carl.

Have you got an old box fan? build a card board and plastic sheeting paint booth and vent it out the backdoor. Put the fan right in the doorway and plastic the rest of the frame closed. Add cardboard wings and paint right in front of the fan. No fumes and the more cardboard and masking you have, the less mess. You could do the same thing with a window and a table... cardboard and visqueen paint booth, with an old box fan.
I must be feeling lazy, that sounds like a lot of hard work!

I have painted in the cold garage and brought it in to dry and it worked, but transportation between the two was a pain.

Carl.
I just had a thought, there is no reason I couldn't put the forks, wheels and bars on (they are away from where I will be painting) and just wheel it in and out... :39: Maybe even the seat so I could flip it upside down and it would have less chance of falling over...

Luke.

I have painted in the cold,just takes longer to dry(that was outside).I paint houses and shutters/doors etc as work...
It is fine one layer at a time,with a day or 2 inbetween for drying...
Paint then wheel it in into a corner...
That way you can sit back,open a cold one and admire your work...:grin::D

original

My concern with the "rush in/ out " technique would be the condensation or sweating.... much like a cold beer bottle on a hot day.... or a pair of eyeglasses when you step in from the cold...... Hmmmm:39:

Bike's in the house = warm,
Paint's in the house and prewarmed in some hot water = warm,
roll outside and paint it...roll back in...
should work as long as you're not outside too long.

Carl.

Bike's in the house = warm,
Paint's in the house and prewarmed in some hot water = warm,
roll outside and paint it...roll back in...
should work as long as you're not outside too long.

Carl.
And that is exactly what I did!

Today was the warmest it has been for a while (14 degrees) and only 86% humidity, I bought a paint that takes 6 hours to dry but is good for surface temps down to 10 degrees, so it should work ok, still pre-warmed the bike and paint and brought the bike back inside to a heated bathroom after to be safe though!

Did the fine masking with some good quality masking tape and the rest with "Cling wrap" (Saran wrap in the US I think), had to test spray the paint on the wrap to make sure it wouldn't melt it:

14602786562_bcd46e9e03_z.jpg

All good! Highly recommend the wrap method of masking, some paints would melt it though I am sure.

On to the frame:

14601406934_f758584a97_z.jpg

Looks like everything worked well, I hope my masking on the lines looks ok when it is done, extremely hard to get them lined up and constant gaps when masking over tubes on differing angles... :headbang:

Luke.

Just seen these and thought of your other build...
http://www........-bikes.com/sites/default/files/styles/bike_grid/public/Ogyan1.jpg?itok=iy3TxbZ6
-7c72f75d_12723682ff0_-7fe8.jpg

They do look a bit like it!

Do I spy a jet engine on the first one and what are the tanks on the second one? :eek:

Luke.
Don't think they are motors,I think what GuitarlCarl said 'thingy'ma'jiggys' that look like water pistols.o_O
here is the site:
http://www........-bikes.com/node/65

That site doesn't work Funk...

Luke.
Oh because the site has a naughty word in it...lol
It's a very common word used in OZ, fill in the letters... www. B--t--d-bikes.com

Ah, got it!

Got the masking off the bike and the graphics done! The masking edges were not perfect, but it does match the lettering well!

Here is a hint for you:

14616700811_64f08352d1_z.jpg

Next pic upload to this thread will probably be an fully assembled ride pic... :happy:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back