Custom Diamondback "JOKER" ~~DONE, FINISHED, CONCLUDED!~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still need to get my minivelo finished, just have to find the time.
Looking forward to seeing it done Kram, yours is still the coolest MiniVelo I have ever seen!

Today's update: Bars, Bearings and Brakes!

Spent some time this morning on the bike, started off by switching out the original Diamondback bars which were fairly small with some bigger ones off one of my other donor BMX's, they fit better visually with the enlarged frame, while they were off I went in and cleaned the head cups and cones and fitted new bearings, then on with some nice two finger brake levers and some BulletProof grips.

Turned out the "crunchiness" I was feeling in the cranks was not the BB bearings it was the pedals and chain, threw some new pedals on it but still need to buy a decent chain, but already much better!

Then I moved on to the brakes, the lower Gyro cable is not here yet, so I just set it up with standard cables so I can ride it until it does arrive. I have never set up BMX "U" Brakes before, they are fiddly, but the other side of the coin is that they have awesome adjust-ability and great performance once they are set up, didn't help that I had fitted those huge 2.4" wide tires, there is very little room left!

I have left the cables a bit long until everything is sorted and bedded in, but went for a ride and I am loving it!

Here are the pics, bear in mind the proper rear brake cable will sit better to the frame when it arrives:

New bars:

14707441163_238f632ec1_z.jpg

14500925778_d109005149_z.jpg

Check out the lack of clearance to the tire from the brakes on the front, the rear wheel actually has to be mounted in the back half of the dropouts and the brake pads at full extension on the brake arms to fit:

14685166304_99c2649a67_z.jpg

Luke.

Love the dirty tires. I always wonder when I see a "rider" bike with clean tires (makes me wonder if people have that much time they can clean the tires after every ride).

True! :thumbsup:
I did find out that semi slick tires do not do well in mud... Nearly went over turning back into the driveway...o_O

Luke.

You think that's fun go hit lose dirt on a curve with slicks; thought I was going to die (luckily I bailed and landed with a couple bruises but my bike was eaten by a F350 that was speeding in a residential).

Well some parts are starting to trickle in, the seat arrived today, not quite as well padded as what I hoped but still plenty comfortable enough, looks excellent, suits the bike nicely!

14705627875_6f7539c7e6_z.jpg

Note I don't slam my seat and make it unridable like kids seem to on BMX's these days...

The grips I ordered for my other build came in, but they sent the wrong ones without the flange, so emailed them and hopefully they will sort that out for me...

Still waiting on the lower Gyro cable to call this bike truly finished!

Luke.

Should be interesting to see a velo-muscle bike...
That would be the next in the series, correct? :)

Really, I do like this bike...

Carl.

Should be interesting to see a velo-muscle bike...
That would be the next in the series, correct? :)

Really, I do like this bike...

Carl.
:21: I guess that seems logical, but Muscle bikes already come with 20" or even 16" wheels, do I make one with a 16" rear and a 12" front? o_O

No, my bike for the Muscle bike build-off is all planned out already, has been for about 6 months... ;)

Thanks for liking the bike Carl, it is something a bit different for ratrodbikes, but I really wanted something that brought back the memories of my high school bike and it turned out pretty good!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back