custom length spokes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a guy on this site who posted that he has a Phil Wood spoke thread rolling machine. This thread roller will do up to 12 gauge spokes but you still need a longer spoke to cut down.

spokes are sold in 2mm increments. you should have no problem finding the correct length heavy duty stainless spokes.

Walker said:
I just borrowed a Hozan spoke threading tool. Should be interresting.

Ive looked at those plenty of times but could never justify getting one for what I needed to do, Still, I'd love to play with one :)

I went over the directions quickly, they are translated from japanese so there are some of the finer details are lost in translation. I'll have to post it up, it's kind of humorous actually.

The tool was never used as far as I can tell. I was hoping to add threads to some existing prewar doublebutted spokes but according to the directions the spoke ends have to be rounded off first. If anyone has some NOS unthreaded double butted pre war spokes, let me know!

I have used the Hozan tools in the past with little success. It is OK for making a spare spoke but not for doing complete wheels.

It always bent the threaded section as you removed the tool, maybe I was doing something wrong.

Latest posts

Back