BO15 CyberCYCO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This won't be the Class 2 entry with the most outlandish fabrication - it's a pretty old-school cut-and-paste RRBO entry in that regard - but it sure shouldn't be boring.

Starting with a couple of bikes, and making one skid machine out of them is the plan. A dark, chrome-plated dystopian future (?) Is the theme.

First frame to go under the saw/grinder will be this 1976 Raleigh MX. Looks like it's had a makeshift repair done at the head tube, maybe to re-bond a cracked braze. It's an early 20" BMX frame with interesting angles, but there isn't enough room between the rear dropouts for the rubber that I have in mind.
c1a10515727fa816e1907c87aa53601b.jpg

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Time out for a (future) history lesson:

In the late '80s, R. Talsorian Games published a tabletop role-playing game called CYBERPUNK. He didn't invent the term or the genre, but he did invent a concept central to this build and it's theme.

The game was based around playing edgy antiheroes, boosted with black market cyber-, neuro- and bio-ware modification done to their bodies. To prevent players from just buying all of the biggest/baddest augmentations, and relying on crazy stats and abilities to get them through the game, he needed a game mechanic to encourage puzzle solving and role-play. Enter: Cyberpsychosis.

Cyberpsychosis has gone on to become a theme in cyberpunk literature and screen in years since. The idea is that as one replaces ones bodily bits with tech, modifies them with genetic bio-ware, or augments brain functions with neuroware, the subject becomes less and less human. Their ability to relate to less-modified people declines, and at some point, they either fall into their own cyber environment, retreating from the "meat", or lash out, becoming killing machines. THAT is Cyberpsychosis.

This bike is going to have a 48V 1KW motor, high intensity LED lights and a booming sound system. Just barely a bicycle anymore, it may try to kill me...

CyberCYCO.

Last edited:
Me too, ever since I read the originator of the genre, books by William Gibson. A cyberpunk build is a great idea.

GC.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

Cyberpunk build theme? Sounds 'outlandish' to me!

RaT oN~! Dave!

That frame is wild!! I love the theme and the juice you have planned for it. Just watch out and don't let the bike assimilate you into the collective.

Look at that, will you?!! Not only does my old Chop Shop seatpost have the perfect angle to parallel the top tubes, but I'm not sure that those bars are keepers.
I'm going to cut the chainstays, and use a cut down OCC Stingray chassis as a rear swingarm. This one is just a stand-in for mock-up. It used to be part of an Outlaw soapbox racer, and has been wrecked/repaired too many times to be straight.
43fcab60761106bdc26e3d295859619a.jpg
7e2a3f8e46af8a5e69f62c1fb25c830f.jpg
8a39b791ec11cd3f8ce67c03dd4d3cc2.jpg

Loving the build, but sitting here trying to work out the car in the background... Am I seeing a Datsun 620? Never seen those lights before though...

Loving the build, but sitting here trying to work out the car in the background... Am I seeing a Datsun 620? Never seen those lights before though...
Yeah, it's a 620, but the headlights are from a JDM compact SUV called a Rasheen. I should buy another pair in case I ever shatter one.

I take a certain amount of joy in cutting up this OCC Stingray...
5c5864437b869153cd7a9ff5e32ac604.jpg
03d8b3c387c9a6ca6812a81d352c0eae.jpg

That is what they were made for!!!!!!
MO FATTA
MO BETTA

That's pretty much the general inspiration, though with 1000w of power in the front hub, it will be much better at dragging out mile-long skids than wheelies. [emoji13]

I'm seriously considering ditching the basket bars for a set of superbike bars, or maybe some others I have in my stash. First, I need to get the suspension mounts welded in, though.

That's pretty much the general inspiration, though with 1000w of power in the front hub, it will be much better at dragging out mile-long skids than wheelies. [emoji13]

I'm seriously considering ditching the basket bars for a set of superbike bars, or maybe some others I have in my stash. First, I need to get the suspension mounts welded in, though.

Definitely screaming for the super bike bars, both aesthetically and practically. Be nice to have the leverage with all that weight. Cool start!

furyus

I've cut a couple OCC's up and in retrospect I suggest keeping the possibility open to stretching your stays and going with a taller back tire. It'll ride ok with the OCC wheel, but a taller wheel with some gears will expand the range you'll actually want to ride. But I like the style of what you got going here.

Carl.

I've cut a couple OCC's up and in retrospect I suggest keeping the possibility open to stretching your stays and going with a taller back tire. It'll ride ok with the OCC wheel, but a taller wheel with some gears will expand the range you'll actually want to ride. But I like the style of what you got going here.

Carl.
Well, I have a hub and rim to lace up for the rear, but it's going to stay 20". As for range, that's what the electric assist is for. [emoji16]

I'm apartment living, and have to travel to the workshop, so I won't have much progress to show for a day or two. The good news is that it's our company's anniversary this week, so I get Friday off from working from home.

Okay, not to go all @kingfish254 or anything, but I am going to try on a few sets of bars today. But first, I needed to swap to a 22.2mm (7/8" for you SAE types) stem. Since I have no real weight concerns, I thought that this solid BRONZE neck from GK would be a nice choice:
48726de2d40e62789e5de1813b07bebd.jpg

Latest posts

Back