BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The front seat mount is on. It needs a little more clean up.

P5200155.jpg

The seat even lines up with my proposed mounts.

P5200156.jpg

I was all excited to come home to drivetrain parts. A crankset, two chains, new freewheel adapter, and the square taper bottom bracket. Everything was here but the BB, USPS tracking has an alert saying it was sent to an undeliverable address and forwarded to another address. So I have no clue what's up, to reach an actual person is an hour wait on the phone, please hold on. Who's going to sit on hold for an hour, not me! Maybe it will show up tomorrow. I'm worried it might wind up going back to California.

The crankset is very light, the silver chains will look good on it. Too bad my freewheel wasn't also silver. My original Freewheel adapter was 15MM, not 5/8" I had a friend bore it out to 5/8, but it has a wobble to it. I hope it was the adapter and not the freewheel.

P5210157.JPG

I didn't feel like working on the trike tonight anyway.

Last edited:
I got to play with a plasma cutter today, it's definitely a fun tool. These seat brackets were cut with it. The steel is 3/16" and would have eaten up a cutoff wheel cutting the two pieces. This is how they look after cleaning up the edges with a flapwheel. I still need to drill the accent holes, then they'll get welded in place.

P5230159.jpg

The top two holes were drilled out with a Uni-bit. I can't find my hole saws, I think they got lent out and never returned. I need a 1" for the bottom hole. Once they are drilled, I will have to decide to flatten the seat pan where it mounts, or (most likely) twist the brackets to match the angle of the seat.

P5240160.jpg

Last edited:
After getting some longer bolts, I was able to properly bolt the caliper to the mount. I then hooked up a brake lever and while squeezing the brake, tacked the mount in place. Then I removed the bearing, temporary PCV shim, caliper, and hub/rotor assembly to finish the welding.

After it cooled I remounted everything. It just touches a tiny bit on the rotor. It could be because there is a bit of weld in the way of the bottom washer, preventing it from sitting flat. I also need to drill out the mounting holes as they are snug on the bolts. I wanted to wait till after the mounts were welded to keep everything as square as possible.

I think it will work out OK (fingers crossed).

P5260175.jpg

I was hoping to get the derailleur mount on this weekend, but couldn't find a 10mm x 1.0 tap anywhere.

These should be here on Tuesday, the needed tap, and a bushing that I'll have two 1/8" slices cut out of for shims. I need the shims so the button head rotor bolts clear the bearings.

Tap.jpg
Bushing.jpg

The other mount is welded in place. I must have slipped when I pulled my hood down, it's a little off of the other side, but seeing as it has to be backwards, I doubt if anyone will notice. Still, it bugs me, but not enough to cut it off and make a new one. This side did not have the clearance of the other side. An extra washer on the top bolt cured it. I'm sure when I enlarge the holes a bit, it will cure that. If not I can live with an extra washer.

How sexy is that disc brake sitting in the rim?

P5260177.jpg
P5260179.jpg
P5260180.jpg

Hopefully the drop from the top tube to the front chainstay tube makes more sense now. It was designed to flow into the seat.

P5260176.jpg
P5260178.jpg

I can't help you with this wheel, and I don't know what your end vision is, but I see a mag on the front of this rather than spoked.
I was thinking the same

Finding a chrome or polished aluminum mag to match the rear hubs has been futile so far. I'd even be happy with a similar looking wheel. I did leave a message on a youtube video that had a wheel that matched, but it was an old video and doubt I'll hear back. I want a front wheel with a disc brake as the forks have the mount, plus I want to use a locking lever for a parking brake. That is why I inquired about the wheel I linked to.

Last edited:
I had a lot of catchup to do on this thread. Great progress. Especially the sexy speed holes.

Have you thought about trying to find a wheelchair mag as a front wheel?

Or may this 20" mag for a front wheel. ($100 shipped on ebay)

1591138766563.png

Latest posts

Back