BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you form those leading arms? Really cool how the frame design flows together.

It's really not hard to understand. Instead of a mounting the caliper(s) to the seat or chain stays, mine mount to the axle housing. So in both instances, the calipers are rigidly mounted.

On a normal bike the rotor mounts to the wheel hubs, and spin with the hub/wheel. My rotors are also mounted to the hubs and spin with the hub/wheel.

This photo makes it clearer.
cyrusbrakemount.JPG

And yes, other than the fact that on a bicycle the wheel is on the inside of the frame / fork, then the rotor is on the outer edge of the wheel, and then the frame part where the caliper is mounted is on the outermost point of the configuration; yours is exactly like that! :21:

Sexy engineering going on here!!

The bottom bars are the top and down tubes from an old girl's Rollfast (pic in the first post of this thread), one of the bars needed a tiny bit of persuasion to match the other. To do this heat was applied to the outside of the part that needed a bit more bend, one end of the pipe was held securely in place while a pipe went into the other end to give more leverage for making the bend.

The top bars are 5/8" tube that I bent around a bicycle wheel. The upright supports are 5/8" split in half and bent in a vice, working it with hammers a little at a time. Then the opening was filled with sheet metal.

Last edited:
And yes, other than the fact that on a bicycle the wheel is on the inside of the frame / fork, then the rotor is on the outer edge of the wheel, and then the frame part where the caliper is mounted is on the outermost point of the configuration; yours is exactly like that! :21:
See, just like I said, the same as a bike!:rofl:

Another bad ebay vendor strikes, this is good and bad. After 10 days of waiting for my crankset to be shipped, I inquired if they plan to ship soon. Now all of a sudden there is a mistake on the chainring size. So the bad is time wasted as I want to get the drivetrain figured out before I go on to anything else on the trike. The good news, I found a nicer crankset for less money.

On the bright side, my front wheel has left China, much sooner than was expected.

Another bad ebay vendor strikes, this is good and bad. After 10 days of waiting for my crankset to be shipped, I inquired if they plan to ship soon. Now all of a sudden there is a mistake on the chainring size. So the bad is time wasted as I want to get the drivetrain figured out before I go on to anything else on the trike. The good news, I found a nicer crankset for less money.

On the bright side, my front wheel has left China, much sooner than was expected.

Hmmmm........do I like that post or angry face that post??? So torn :grin:

Sounds like things are working out though. One step closer with each item!

Once again something I ordered was not what was listed in the ad. I ordered a set of Jagwire Silver braided brake cables that were supposed to be 90.5" long, the ones I got are 77.5" long. I'm not sure if they will be long enough. :headbang:

How hard is it to actually send what the customer ordered?

I love building bikes, but absolutely hate dealing with the vendors about half the time.

On the plus side, if I understand the updates, my front wheel has cleared customs. If this is true, I should have it next week.

I ordered two of these cable stops with the intention of using them as guides on the rear axle housing.

Cable Stop.png

After drilling out the stop. I closed the opening on the top in a vise, then hammered it round again, before welding them up. After that I welded them to the housing.

P6230270.jpg
P6230271.jpg
P6230272.jpg

I also learned I might be a better welder than I thought. The switch on the gun stopped working, when I took it apart there was a screw that is used to connect a wire that had loosened and destroyed the threads. When I put a new screw in, the welder worked WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better.

I probably still suck at welding though!

Last edited:
Psycho, you're starting to have fun with that welder now that you've got it working right, aren't ya?

Psycho, you're starting to have fun with that welder now that you've got it working right, aren't ya?
I can say it's nice to hear the constant sizzle sound, rather than sizzle pop, crack, sizzle, pop, crack!

Once again something I ordered was not what was listed in the ad. I ordered a set of Jagwire Silver braided brake cables that were supposed to be 90.5" long, the ones I got are 77.5" long. I'm not sure if they will be long enough. :headbang:

How hard is it to actually send what the customer ordered?

I love building bikes, but absolutely hate dealing with the vendors about half the time.

On the plus side, if I understand the updates, my front wheel has cleared customs. If this is true, I should have it next week.
I haven't been able to get any silver braided jagwire either.
Ended uo getting white braided. Looks ok. But not the same

I haven't been able to get any silver braided jagwire either.
Ended uo getting white braided. Looks ok. But not the same

This is the vendor I got mine from. When I inquired about the lengths, they immediately fixed their ad. I asked for a discount on the next order as I still needed shifter cables, they gave me a good discount, plus they ship very fast, in fact the package was waiting for me when I got home today. I would recommend them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kevelar-Ja...var=564511603433&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jagwire-Br...var=554347962521&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The new crankset arrived today. It's black not bare aluminum like the pic in the ad. I went back and looked to see if I ordered the wrong one, there is a small note stashed all the way on the bottom of the ad, stating its black, not silver. Shouldn't that have been the first thing to say? :headbang:I'll deal with that later.

I started on my shifter, a piece of 1/8" sheet cut into a large washer, a 1/4" all thread coupler, a 1/4-20 bolt with the head cut off, and a 1/4" aluminum rod. I welded the bolt to the washer, threaded the end of the rod, and turned the coupler by mounting it in the drill press and filing it to shape,

P6260276.jpg
P6260277.jpg
P6260278.jpg

Latest posts

Back