BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I REALLY dig that you are using a bike wheel for your pipe bends!
This is one sexy build.

I want to thank you all for the comments, it helps to keep me motivated.

The risers for my bars came yesterday. When I opened the box I thought they were going to be way too big, but I think they look good on the bike. They almost went in the garbage as the machining on the main bolts and lower pieces felt like they were sand casted instead of machined. This almost ruined one of them. After some cleaning up they now work fine.

I also started on the templates for a tank, the debate I have is to make it separate or build it into the top tube.

I should clean up before taking pics!

P5090107.jpg
P5090108.jpg
P5080105.jpg
P5080106.jpg
P5090109.jpg

I cut off a drop out from the Rollfast, bent it to 90 degrees and clamped it in place. Then I dug out a random derailleur to see if the chain will clear the bottom of the frame. It clears the frame and not much ground clearance, but it's acceptable. I think there is too much slack in the chain, if I tightened it up a bit, it would help. I won't know for sure until I have the freewheel and derailleur I plan to use.

P5090112.jpg
P5090113.jpg

Andy, could you take a measurement for me? I need to know the distance from the face of the smallest cog, to the face of the derailleur mount.

TIA

Hope this helps. It's probably a metric measurement, but all I could find quick was a "regular" ruler.
From the face of the teeth to the derailleur mount is about a 1/4 inch.
A picture is supposed to be worth a 1000 words, so maybe one will help here...
IMG_20200514_083835.jpg

Bar standoffs came out awesome!!!
The lines of that tank are just as sexy as the frame. They are gonna compliment each other well.

Hope this helps. It's probably a metric measurement, but all I could find quick was a "regular" ruler.
From the face of the teeth to the derailleur mount is about a 1/4 inch.
A picture is supposed to be worth a 1000 words, so maybe one will help here...

Thank you, that is a great help in giving me a starting point to making and mounting the derailleur mount.

Bar standoffs came out awesome!!!
The lines of that tank are just as sexy as the frame. They are gonna compliment each other well.
Thank you. I've never built a tank before, I hope I can pull this off.

If the hub bushing was welded to the axle, I'd have a roller right now. After I sat on it and did some pedaling, it's not to bad, comfort wise. Now that I'm happy with the positioning of the bars, pedals, and seat, it's time to stretch the seat 5".

Rather than waste a bunch of sheet metal to make my own seat, I decided to stretch an old one I have. After taking it apart and wire wheeling the foam off, it was time to make some marks. I'll be cutting it across and narrowing the front piece 1/2".

P5090114.jpg

The same cuts are marked on the bottom pan.

P5090115.jpg

P5090116.jpg

The fronts tacked together.

P5090117.jpg

I started adding the filler piece by tacking the top in place.

P5090118.jpg

Next, I used some 5/8" tube to make the bends and tacked the sides.

P5090120.jpg

The top pan tacked together and the sides trimmed.

P5090121.jpg
P5090122.jpg

It looked like rain, so I quit for the day. I'll take the pan to the shop I'm working at and use the shrinker/stretcher to curve the pan to match the top tube. Then it's time to hammer and dolly it to fine tune the shape.

I couldn't help myself, more cutting, grinding, and welding. I'll fill the triangles in with sheetmetal.

P5100124.jpg

The mailman was good to me today.

I'm not sure if this is the one I'll be using. A new friend hooked me up with another derailleur, I'll decide which one to use when it gets here,

P5100125.jpg

Hopefully this will help with hills.

P5100126.jpg

I'm beginning to think I should have named this "Spyke the Tryke".

P5100127.jpg

Dig the tank design you laid out, fits the lines of the frame well.

It's too nice out to work on bikes today,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, almost.

I did make a bracket for the one derailleur out of 1/4" steel. I used an old Trek bike that I think has the same freewheel as a template. Luckily it seems that I can get it centered on the axle right where it needs to be. I just need to see if I can get it where it needs to be from left to right. Going to the right will be easy, depending on how far left might be hard as I will be at the end of the axle housing. It can be done, but I will need to mod this bracket or make another one.

P5110128.JPG

The drill and tap for my brake rotor bolts came today, they are next to knock of the fab list.

I will now ask the RRB community for help. I need the adapters from the frame to the caliper. I see different shapes and front or rear ones. Seeing as I am making my own brackets off the axle tube, does it matter which ones I use?

Uh-Oh! My lack of fabrication knowledge has bit me where the sun don't shine. While welding the axle housing to the frame and adding the rear brace, things moved. It made more sense to me to brace everything, then cut out for the freewheel. I guess I was wrong. The ends in the center are not centered on the axle. I have to decide on how I want to go about straightening this out. I might have to cut some bars, add the bearings and hope it stays centered when I weld it back together.

P5120129.jpg
P5120130.jpg

It’s about the radius from the axle to the mounting holes. Get that right and any CS/axle orientation/angle can work. And the distance between the two, of course. This is ISO mount. The link has other info.
iso

http://blog.artscyclery.com/keeping-the-rubber-side-down/rubber-side-down-disc-brake-adapters/
Thank you, but that didn't help me. I'm using 120mm discs. The calipers I'm using have the bolts in a vertical position, I want to make mounts that are horizontal. I've seen adapters that have this configuration, but I don't know if there is one size that would work better than another. The caliper and rotor fit inside the wheel so the smaller the adapter, the better. Making mounts that have the proper height is easy, centering it so the rotor is centered is the hard part. This is why I want to use and adjustable adapter.

Last edited:
Thank you, but that didn't help me. I'm using 120mm discs. The calipers I'm using have the bolts in a vertical position, I want to make mounts that are horizontal. I've seen adapters that have this configuration, but I don't know if there is one size that would work better than another. The caliper and rotor fit inside the wheel so the smaller the adapter, the better. Making mounts that have the proper height is easy, centering it so the rotor is centered is the hard part. This is why I want to use and adjustable adapter.

For my electric ZZR I used adapters from Aliexpress. I'm still having problems with them till now (mostly with the front one), but for adjusting I use washers from V-brake shoes, the ones that are cone-shaped. It helps adjust height, and angle of the the caliper. If you are running mechanical discs, then you have a great field for adjustment. I'm running a hydraulic system, and for that, the best way to adjust the caliper is on a sqeezed brake handle, so that the caliper is in place.

These are often used and tend to work well - they attach to the axle and the two small holes are for a coaster brake type clamp (to attach to the fork leg), but they are probably designed for rotors 160-180mm.
IMG_20200517_121036.jpg

Your 120mm rotors might be an issue because the pads would have to be 2-3cm closer to the axle. But you could just cut and reweld it to the needed length. Or so I think, not too savvy on disk brakes :rolleyes:
There is a bend so there might be a left and right side versions.

Latest posts

Back