D.I.Y tube roller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sensor said:
gdcast...is that a wheel for chainlink fences? if so they should take up to a min. of 2" tube(if its not now you know what i used for mine :wink: )

Thanks for sharing youre SECRETE...

Well, it actually came from an abandoned home made bender, that was missing most of it´s parts, I only got tree wheels. One small and another one like the one in the picture...

But thanks for the tip!

redrockerfan said:
Found one at Harbor freight. Its not as cool as OCD but it might work.
http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

Hi, I'm new to these forums (and customizing bikes). how many people use this with success? My concern is with the dies it comes with. I don't know anything about rolling tube but my thought is if the roller is not the exact diameter of the tube, wont it flatten it? According to the manual it comes with 1", 1-1/2", 2" rollers. I went to HF but the floor model only had the square tubing rollers fitted and the guy couldn't find a new box.

Thanks for any help provided.

ill sell you a horror fright tubing roller.......the dies suck and will flatten about anything since theyre dont really fit much(granted i was using .065 tube which is only 1/16" thick but thats what stock bike frames are made of :wink: )
youre better off finding something to wedge the tubing in and bending it by hand(although if you really want a roller ill be happy to sell you mine!)

max210: Build your own!!!
You may fail the first couple of times, but you´ll learn a lot, and there´s nothing more beautiful than an ugly welded, rusted and recycled bender that actually bends tubes!! :wink:

sensor said:
ill sell you a horror fright tubing roller.......the dies suck and will flatten about anything since theyre dont really fit much(granted i was using .065 tube which is only 1/16" thick but thats what stock bike frames are made of :wink: )
youre better off finding something to wedge the tubing in and bending it by hand(although if you really want a roller ill be happy to sell you mine!)

Pm me the price you want for youre roller...

I have used the cheap harbor freight tubing roller ,for lots of builds , and haven't had any problems.The only change I would make is ...I long for a motor....the turning that big wheel makes me feel like I am the captain of a ship. I have found if I use 12 gauge thick tubing ,I'm real tired and the bends aren't so radical. I stuck some 1 5/8'' 14 gauge in it once and it made the tubing kinda oval due to it being wider than the dies/rollers. Still looked cool though. I have probably built 6 frames with mine and they all turned out pretty good. :roll:
I'm not a machinist , but I doubt if you could build the rollers that come with it for what you pay for one. :wink: Here is a few.

swoopiebars002.jpg

redbike002.jpg

betterpics001.jpg

forkchange005.jpg

Strech... That yellow bike frame is sick.. I should be able to make just the rollers for less than what the whole tube roller cost. Cause I would only pay for the material. Im looking to buy a roller and make dies for different size tubing...

Dr. Tankenstein said:
This thing is cool, one question, where do you find urethane rollers like that?
For what I read...
The rollers themselves are polyurethane keel rollers which are used on boat trailers and are available at most marine stores.

Click on my previous post on "polyurethane keel rollers" these should work on a couple different size tube because of the angle...

I would worry about the wood cracking at the axle bolts once some pressure is put on the tubing. The holes for them are drilled awfully close to thee edge.

g-ratter I was thinking about the same thing, I also thought about
placing 0.2 inch sheet metal to cover the sides and give it more strength...

Latest posts

Back