Daddy Long Legs (former Thin legged cruiser)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thought that came to my mind was that it looks like the legs from a Daddy Longlegs Spider(Pholcidae).:grin:
images
And now I get the name.:41:
I'm wondering did along came a spider and sat down beside you?

First thought that came to my mind was that it looks like the legs from a Daddy Longlegs Spider(Pholcidae).:grin:
images
I never even put 2 & 2 together on that. Makes me wonder what the influence was before not being able to find someone to bend the tubing.

Bad news everyone! I have to dropout from this buildoff. My design + my brazing skills were not enough to make a good frame... today I've decided to make some resistance testing so I jumped on the seat to see what will happen. After the third jump the frame snapped in half. After lookin on what has happened I've discovered that the brazing did not hold to the momentum of front wheel, so first it broke on the down tube and than the force broke off the top and middle tubes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
5de34492ebe9712aa912d73ef6c7d06a.jpg

I guess I have to get some more practice. Maybe get a tig welder and get some practice with it and then do another attempt. For now I'll stick to modding ready frames.

Yeah it was a cool idea. But now I know that you can not braze 0.8 thin wall tubing in angle. There's just not enough contact area. I belive tig welding could do the trick but I don't have a welder. I'll keep looking for other options. Maybe I'll come up with something till the buildoff is over.

Ouch! :mad:
At least you tested it in the shop and didn't find out going down the road.
Best wishes on getting it welded up. At least you know it's a cool design.

That's a shame,this was one of my favorites. Hope you can some day get it done so we can all see it.

Yeah it was a cool idea. But now I know that you can not braze 0.8 thin wall tubing in angle. There's just not enough contact area. I belive tig welding could do the trick but I don't have a welder. I'll keep looking for other options. Maybe I'll come up with something till the buildoff is over.

I use a normal welder.
But have a idea for you.
What about using pipe fittings.Either weld or thread?
Malleable%20Pipe%20Fittings908.jpg

That could be the beginning of a very industrial bicycle. I like the idea,wonder how well it would work.

Hey there!
Actally I've decided to stop whining and start to work on the frame again. I've reinforced the broken joints with cut pieces of the same tubing. Cut them in half and inserted them inside the tubes to join. ( some kind of pipe fitting).Then I've changed the position of the middle tube to give some more strength on the weakest spot. I still have to finish the rear triangle but I've tried to put all my weight on the middle of the top tube and this time there is no cracking. Tomorrow I'll post some photos. And if I'm lucky I'll be able to put it on wheels. Thanks for your support everyone!

Last edited:
images
Actually at no moment I was thinking about the spider. For me the thin legs were the wheels but with all the changes on the design I had to make now your idea suits the bicycle very well. Maybe some all mighty Daddy longlegs wanted a bicycle inspired in him so he made me do all the stuff I've done without noticing.

Not an brazing expert but I thought bikes that are brazen always used joints were the tubes come together. Maybe some one can answer this but to me brazing is similar to sweating copper tubing. Just a way to "glue" them together.

Not an brazing expert but I thought bikes that are brazen always used joints were the tubes come together. Maybe some one can answer this but to me brazing is similar to sweating copper tubing. Just a way to "glue" them together.
There are many ways to braze tubes... you can use lugs or you can notch tubes to fit perfectly together. Than there are different materials to braze, depends on what material you are working with). For steel you would use brass which has a high melting point (about 800°C) if you add silver to the brass the melting temperature gets lower and the material flows better (silver brazing) but the strength of the joint gets worse ( usually you'd use it for lugged frames). I think one of my errors was to use silver brazing to make "curves". So I've used brass for the joints I had to repair. (Hope I'm right about it). And btw old American frames a brazed together you can see it clearly when you strip down the paint, there will be some golden residue on the steel near the joints. Brazing does not require complicated machinery, you are Allright with a mapp torch or butane+oxigen but it's way slower than welding and you have to do a lot of cleaning after brazing to remove the flux.

Geek mode on.
When you braze things together you do it at high temperatures (for the material you are brazing) so there is some reaction between the base material and the material you are adding. So when you are brazing copper with tin you are actually making a thin layer of bronze.
Geek mode off.

Latest posts

Back