Dad's Vibe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, in RRBBO 1 Steve used a Huffy Good Vibrations frame to build his bike.

So now I'm ready to join in on the fun in RRBBO 2 and to keep it a father / son type deal I too will use a Huffy Good Vibrations bike as my starting point.

I especially like the Redline "like" front sprocket on it.

So we'll see what I can come up with for the build.

IMG_1534.jpg

I tore down the Vibe today. Took a bit to get the pedals off and a few other parts but it's "mostly" apart now.

I did run into one problem that maybe someone will have some ideas on. I couldn't get the seat tube out of the frame - too much rust. I sprayed it with WD-40 and now I'm letting it sit for a while, but if you have a trick to removing it, let me know.

I tried hammering it down further into the frame to free it up some but it wouldn't move. I also used a pipe wrench on it and it was just bending the tube. So if you have any thoughts or slick ways to get one out, let me know. Thanks.

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Thanks. That's what I was trying - only with WD-40, so I will try to get some of the penetrating spray when I get a chance and give that a shot.

Rickster, I don't think I will be as creative as most of the guys on the forum, and I don't have a bunch of extra parts laying around to work with, but I know I will end up with something decent compared to what I started out with.

And it will be fun no matter what. :lol:

Plus it will be fun to see the old Vibe fixed up and going again instead of sitting under a shed next to my garage.

Thats what its all about, Having fun. And seeing every one elses stuff.

RatRodDad said:
if you have a trick to removing it [seat post], let me know.

Check out this thread: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310

Also, I'm sure Sheldon Brown's website will have info on how to remove stuck seat posts. On my cruiser, the seat post was also stuck, and the vice-grip pliers kept sliding. So I drilled a hole on the top of the post (so it would be hidden by the seat collar when I reused the post), and inserted a bolt with a nut through that hole. The bolt made the vice-grip pliers hold on well to the seat post and it finally became unstuck. Lots of WD40, of course.

Hugo

Thanks, Hugo. I may try that if a soaking with WD-40 or penetrant doesn't help.

I also told Steve my last resort would be to heat it up with a torch, since that will usually busts rust loose. I've done that a few times with stuck mufflers, tail pipes, etc. But I would rather get it loose without doing that if I can.

i can twist the posts easier with the seat clamped back on than with vise grips, once you crush the seat tube with the grips it becomes easier and easier for the visegrips to keep slippin off, based off my experience anywho.

CCR, the Sheldon Brown articla that was in the link Hugo passed along also mentioned using the seat to do the twisting, so I may stick an old one on it and give that a try after it soaks a bit.

I got on it pretty good with a pipe wrench and that's when I noticed the pipe starting to bend, so I stopped at that point.

I'm sure I will get it off sooner or later. I will let it soak a bit and then try it again.

The bolt throught the hole trick I talked about doesn't lead to the post getting squashed. You just have to tighten the vice-grip pliers a little bit and the bolt will keep them from slipping, not the pressure on the pliers.

Hugo

Okay, it's do or die time. Down to the last couple of days so I need to get 'er done.

Here's a shot of my spray booth ...

IMG_1711.jpg

Hopefully the parts will be dry by tomorrow and I can begin bolting things together.

I have a few options on handlebars, seats, etc., so we'll see what I end up using when it's done.

Thanks, Randy. I used some of that latex based paint on the lighter blue parts and I hope that turns out okay. It was messy as heck - dripping off of the parts and overspray hitting all over the grass below while I was spraying it. I won't ever use that stuff again.

I've been spending most of the time playing around with my brother and his bike frame strecthing ventures. He even got carried away and built himself a jig to hold things in place so he could keep them lined up for welding. So it's been fun watching what he builds and I ended up with 2 of the bikes so far.

So I just kept putting off working on the Vibe and just doing a little on it here and there when I had time. I thought I better get after it, though, or miss the boat.

So it may end up just a nice bike with nothing special - but at least it will be one rescued from the scrap yard.

The paint was dry so it's time to begin putting the Huffy back together again.

Here's a shot of the first pass at putting it back together.

IMG_1712.jpg

I tried a couple of options on the seat and also the handlebars and opted for this combination.

IMG_1714.jpg

I put a new chain on and took it for a ride. Rides about like you would expect for a cruiser with ape hangers, haha.

I took a look at either putting on the chainguard - since it matches the front fork - or leaving it off. Here's how it looks each way.

I think I'm leaning towards leaving it off, though.

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

So the bike is pretty much done - in time for the deadline - and I just need to find some creative place to take a few shots of the finished product and then post those.

After the RRBBO is done I will probably go back and paint the forks a dark blue - my original plan, and also the chainguard. I may like the chainguard on it if it was darker.

Okay, last of the build photos.

I decided I would like a dark blue fork and chaingurad instead of the lighter blue, so I got back into painting mode today.

Here are some shots with the darker blue.

I think the darker blue chainguard looks okay now, but I will probably keep it old school and leave it off. I can always put it on later if I decide I want it on.

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

Be sure to check out my "finished" pictures. :D :D

Latest posts

Back