DANGER PLEASE READ ABOUT MONARCH SPRINGER FORK

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't currently have photo or imaging abilities, it's the cheap 60's, 70's or chinese kind with a visible seam on the front, very common on pre-mtb cruisers.If you only weigh 75 lbs or you never hop or wheely, you'll be OK.

I've seen a dozen folded Monark forks on this forum now, but I haven't seen one that someone re-welded and repaired. Is that possible or are you people just tossing them? Has anyone sued the manufacturer of these booby-traps? Gary

B607 said:
I've seen a dozen folded Monark forks on this forum now, but I haven't seen one that someone re-welded and repaired.Gary
ive often wondered that myself........after the defects were brought to light has anyone thats gotten one of the repops, pulled the cap, and looked to see if its fully welded? if not did they weld it or just ride it anyway even after hearing that they fail from not being welded properly.....
blsm(and everyone else that had one of these fail) have you looked to see where you fork failed? just trying to see if it is all the same problem

I'm currently cameraless and separated from my fork. When I pulled the cap, the legs were only spot welded. If you strip the stupid thick powder coat, I don't see why you can't reweld it.

TommyTwoTime said:
Can someone post a picture of one with the cap removed? I can tell you whether this would be an easy fix. Maybe I'll build a jig and start repairing these via mail. I'm always looking for welding jobs in the great Michigan economy.

That's a great idea. Make hay while the sun shines! No reason not to repair them if it's possible. Except for the defect, they do look pretty good and the old ones are tough to find in nice shape. Gary

I took mine apart and looked at the welds and you can see for yourself needs redone to be safe . Thanks for the heads up on these im sure i was heading to the hospital for sure on my death trap.Im alittle ticked off ive got 2 pair of these but ive got a welder so i can fix them just for the 120 bucks i shouldnt have to . Ive emailed him in the past and complained about having to redo the bottom brackets and he said to just spread the forks ,yeah thats a good idea alright
Picture016.jpg
Picture017.jpg

Thanks for this thread!! I was "this close" to buying one of these...Any update on an improvement in quality?

B607 said:
I've seen a dozen folded Monark forks on this forum now, but I haven't seen one that someone re-welded and repaired. Is that possible or are you people just tossing them? Has anyone sued the manufacturer of these booby-traps? Gary

huhti09%20010.JPG

Fixed before damage, everything is welded + some extra material
link: http://picasaweb.google.fi/Velokuvakans ... 2867768178
I like it more without cap

i have parted a few out. to help those whom have them.but no longer have any stock.. these forks are crossbow cycles and he should be ashamed of such a terrible product. we used to carry these forks unfortunately .. yes they have problems... show only forks... .. i believe their is no true way to solve the fork issues with them safely. i build my own from now on. buy rider owned hand made products not the Taiwanese crap...see what happens

like i mentioned the way i do it is adapt a regular cruiser blade fork in place of the original one and it works fine. but yes the stock fork is horrable

After reading this, thanks to Cman, I never ever thought that i would have to worry about buying a cool fork like this and then to not know that one day i'll superman straight into the ground!! :shock: , double checking it when i get the chance.

Ugh... and i just bought a set:(

Looks like ill be doing some reinforcing before final assembly.... which sucks because i bought these for their chrome design...

Latest posts

Back