Dayton-Columbia, as close to done as it will ever be.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girls frame as seat tube?

• No, too busy.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yeah! Get crazy.

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've got some customer stuff to work on, but eventually, probably at the beginning of the year, I've got a build that's been brewing in my head for a couple of months. It just uses two vintage frames mated to give me a stretched vintage, but mated in a way that I've never quite seen before. When passing through Utah, I looked up Kram, and bought the two frames that I think will be perfect for this mating.
IMG_3792_zpswhu7wjv0.jpg

It should be noted that this will be a more dressed up affair, powder coated, and shiny, not all ratty. Today, I bought a girls matching Columbia frame that I was thinking would be robbed of parts. It has the kickstand, chain guard, and head badge, all of which should fit the front frame. However! It also has the tank, and so, the question I put to you, what do you think of the way I am thinking of adding the front/tank area of the girls bike as a seat tube?

IMG_3805%20-%20mod_zps7snd1seq.jpg

Too radical? Too busy? Heck yeah? I'm normally very sure of what I want to do, and I liked the idea of the tank, but my wife cringed at it, so this is one of those rare times when I'd like some opinions. Please let me know what you think in the poll or comments.

I like the piece of girls frame with the tank as the seat tube, looks cool.

The headtube under the bottom bracket bugs me slightly though, there is nice flowing curves everywhere but then a very sudden straight piece. I guess if you gave it a purpose, like a kickstand mount or something it would work.

Hope you don't mind, I have a little play with your mockup, just rotated the rear frame up so the curves continue after the bottom bracket:

21887352474_c6d7e1041f_o.jpg

Whatever you do, this will be a cool bike!

Luke.

I like the piece of girls frame with the tank as the seat tube, looks cool.

The headtube under the bottom bracket bugs me slightly though, there is nice flowing curves everywhere but then a very sudden straight piece. I guess if you gave it a purpose, like a kickstand mount or something it would work.

Hope you don't mind, I have a little play with your mockup, just rotated the rear frame up so the curves continue after the bottom bracket:

21887352474_c6d7e1041f_o.jpg

Whatever you do, this will be a cool bike!

Luke.

Cool re-shop Luke. I actually really like the idea of the head tube down there, as it drops the rear frame down low, plus I intend to keep the Dayton head badge on there. However, I'll say that I like how the girl's head tube was brought down a bit in your photo.

I actually really like the idea of the head tube down there, as it drops the rear frame down low, plus I intend to keep the Dayton head badge on there.
Ah ha! I get it now, very cool! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it!

Luke.

I don't know man, the tank on the girls bike doesn't fit for me. The concept is great, but two tanks and a chain guard seems a bit cluttered.

And now I have a Beck song stuck in my head. "I got two turn tables and a microphone."

Ive only read the op, & peeked & lukes edit work, But whatever you do it will be outta sight. I like the direction luke took. The initial layout is messy & rad. Looks like a tandem was in the victim of being rear & front ended at once. A sad event. One Jonny Cash might sing about..

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Plus it's gonna be BIG like that. I like it.

I don't know man, the tank on the girls bike doesn't fit for me. The concept is great, but two tanks and a chain guard seems a bit cluttered.

And now I have a Beck song stuck in my head. "I got two turn tables and a microphone."

Technically, I've done two tanks and a chain guard before, just a different configuration.
IMG_2780_zps1f7f1ebc.jpg

Still, I understand what you're saying, and want the critical feedback on this one just as much as the positive feedback. :thumbsup:

Just spit ballin', I think that Luke's mods could be taken further......to the point of the origanal chain stays of the rear frame attaching right below the seat. Of course, that would eliminate the original lower tube from that frame. Then see if lower top tube would flow into the lower tube of the girls frame section possibly spicing one into the other, and bring the original top tube into the rear of the bb that you will be using. Then radically shorten the chain guard and either float or idle a cool big chain ring by the seat tube.

Man, I just reread that paragraph.......I hope that you can understand what I am talking about, cause I'm not sure that I do anymore!!

Technically, I've done two tanks and a chain guard before, just a different configuration.
IMG_2780_zps1f7f1ebc.jpg

Still, I understand what you're saying, and want the critical feedback on this one just as much as the positive feedback. :thumbsup:
I actually like the bike in this pic, maybe I'm not feeling the other one because I'm not visualizing a complete bike.

I like the mix of frames and the addition of the ladies tank seatpost.
This has a great Gaskill vibe to it.
The only bar that visually distracts from the design to me is the seattube of the rear frame.

I like the mix of frames and the addition of the ladies tank seatpost.
This has a great Gaskill vibe to it.
The only bar that visually distracts from the design to me is the seattube of the rear frame.

I understand what you mean. The head tube/fork in the front, the front seat tube, and the girl's head tube are all at about a 30 degree angle, so the rear seat tube doesn't quite flow because it's a few degrees the other direction. I wanted to be able to visually see most of the rear frame in the finished bike, but I'll give it some thought. I figure it might be less awkward looking when finished, with everything matching in color, and the chain, and everything else in place. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

Loving the Evanaction too by the way!

Just a bizarro idea, but that bottom front headtube may open up the possibility of putting putting some right angle shortened fork legs holding a pair of lights.

Thanks to those that voted. I was hoping for a few more votes than this, but hey, beggars can't be choosers, and in the end, I'll go with whichever way I'm feeling at the time, I suppose.

Last edited:
IMG_2780_zps1f7f1ebc.jpg

I LOVE this bike man! Holy crap! custom but not all super fat tires and motorcycle looking! This is so rad!

i am all for chopping and modifying a frame , but using 3 vintage to make one makes me sick.. there is less and less of vintage frame out there , and you could have probably buy a tube bender for the price of these ... sorry had to say it :oops:

i am all for chopping and modifying a frame , but using 3 vintage to make one makes me sick.. there is less and less of vintage frame out there , and you could have probably buy a tube bender for the price of these ... sorry had to say it :oops:

I understand what you're saying. I do. I'm just not that precious about them. I came to a turning point where I realized that most of these frames are going to rot away. Why not make an artistic bike with them that will be ridden? Look at Gaskill's builds. I count something like five frames in his builds sometimes, but when complete, his bikes are not just bikes, they're art. Now, I'm not saying I'm Gaskill, but I see something like what I'm proposing as just as much a sculpture as it is a bicycle. Otherwise, I would indeed just use my benders and roller. How to use the best pieces of each frame, or the usable pieces, as I often take frames that are roached (the boys Columbia in the front is the only one of these that I think could be built up as is).

In any case, I just felt the need to respond. I respect the purest view, that's just not me.

Latest posts

Back