"Dead Spot" It's Alive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From the tangled and rusted, heaving, all devouring mound of bikes that loom out back will emerge this years RRB entry. Titled "Dead Spot" in homage to all of the cars long deceased that sported the likes of Autocraft, Holly, and Carter carbs that always had that miss when trying to pull under a hard load.
Originally the title was going to be "Tweaked" since I had to have a brute of a guy jump up and down on it, plus slam it with a sideshow carny "test your strength" hammer to get it straight again. Theme is leaning hard towards the straight axle look from back in those weight distribution days of yore. If you look up "comfort bike" in the dictionary it won't be there, but next to the word "pain" it will be.

DeadSpot-1.jpg

Had a bit of time today to mess around with this, and I wanted to be sure that the frame wasn't tweaked too badly before continuing. BB is from a Specialized Vegas, and the crank set is the old faithful Sugino Super Maxy. Time to get after the suicide shifter and get the three speed on track.

deaad001.jpg

Re: "Dead Spot"

Let the mock up begin, Ape Hangers for sure to off show my hairy arms, 3 spd. rear hub to just have enough gears to appease my torn up knee, and a longer fork for that heads up stance. Total expenditure at this point $0.00, my wife and accountant will be so pleased.

deadspot1.jpg

amazing start, cant wait to see more of this.

Dug around in the potting shed for a board that I knew that would be used for a noble purpose eventually. It will be the filler piece for the flat panel between the top tubes. The donor for the pressed aluminum panels will be this Studebaker Hawk trunk trim piece (hope the guys on the Stude boards don't see this) and the hardware to hold it all together still needs to be discovered.

deadspot2001.jpg

deadspot3.jpg

Latest posts

Back