Deco-ed Out (working title)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its been a long week of fixing other peoples things so not much done on the bike. :(
I think I will be going a different route on the fenders though. Same shape just different construction method. A place I do side work for makes rotational castings of things using various resins and they offered to make me a mold using my current mold as a blank. If it works I will be making several pairs of fenders to make a pedal version as well as a powered version. Plan on taking the mold up there tomorrow to get started. More to come. Stay tuned.

I dont know where you are located, (no location on you details) but if there are any ratrod bikers nearby, they may be interested in purchasing a pair... :wink:
Don't suppose you are in Australia are you? Preferably Victoria? I can be there in a couple of hours, max! :mrgreen:

Luke.

Well not much to update Luke. I am taking the mold to get finished on Wednesday so hopefully I will have a set the week after that. Still working on other peoples stuff and moving the inlaws into town this weekend so might get some free time next week for frame work. By the way Luke, your bike is a TANK! Can't wait to see it rolling under human power.

Well its been a minute since my last update so I figured I should post up something. Been slowly working on the new mold but its going good. I plan on claying up the rest of the edge tomorrow and hopefully start laying up the first half of the mold.

Smoothed out the surface a little more and prepped for epoxy primer.
2013-02-07_16-23-19_464_zps546ea90e.jpg

All primed up, waxed, and ready for making the mold - from the mold.
2013-02-11_16-10-55_792_zps7a6fbd2d.jpg

Being a 2 piece mold there needs to be a parting line for the halves. Don't want to use alot of clay so foam or wood is used to get close to the line. Then the clay just finishes up to the line.
2013-02-11_17-34-19_268_zps22744261.jpg

Started the frame layout so I could bend up the down tube.
2013-02-05_22-20-34_808_zpsea769bf5.jpg

With a little work with the torch and a vice we have a down tube.
5272ec7c-a421-463a-9182-be37c82c08f9_zps39c69443.jpg

So thats all for now. Work on the mold will continue this week and some more might get done on the frame but we will see. Stay tuned for further updates.

Your work with that mold is amazing, and very inspirational.
Wish I could get that type of foam here, it would simplify fabricating fiberglass parts.
Thank you for this post, I´m learning lot´s, keep it coming, can´t wait for more!!!

Latest posts

Back