Der Rote Baron - Felt Red Baron

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this bike over two years ago, rode it down the street the day I got it and hung it up ever since.

I have always found this exact Felt bike, or should I say paint job, with the story of the Red Baron to be interesting. It was time to do something with it. The only things I see staying original are the frame and wheels. I will be trying out a few ideas to see how it all pans out.

77804e642ccab8cecfc253ed3e42d1d6.jpg

f591919a69cf54704984d8a6b8fc86d8.jpg

Last edited:
Curious to see your changes.
Cool bike.

Thanks guys.
Starting off by cleaning up the frame a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_20150504_202706.jpg
    IMG_20150504_202706.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
I'm trying to catch up here. I've been busy at work the last few weeks.

Here are just a few items I plan to mock up and go from there. I picked up a 3 speed shifter from @MIGZ and thanks to @Tater who has helped me acquire some parts and has also donated a few parts to my project, I've been waiting long enough to use the chainring.

I will be converting the single speed to a 3 speed, trying to install the shifter right by the tank and some other details to come...

06c335da1dfbbb718029f2c152b1cbb9.jpg

Last edited:
Interested to see how this turns out, my new felt red baron is going through regular changes already but like to see what everybody else is doing also!

Okay, I haven't forgot about this build off. I believe I have this thing complete, but constructive criticism, or not, is welcomed.

Picked up ideas along the way. @Tater built a Felt Bomber a few years back that rolled on Berm Master tires and it looked great. I tried these tires on this build just because of that.

I wanted to keep the shifter cable completely exposed running along the frame, and I'm satisfied with the outcome. The shifter mounting bracket required a different angle to function on this build and even though it hurt to put holes on this frame, it had to be done or I would need to get someone to fabricate a mount for it.

I'm also running a lower than desired PSI on the front tire just to make it fit, I couldn't go back to thick bricks after purchasing the Berm's, that would mean I gave up on my idea.

So let me know what you guys think, I may be messing with it more right up to the deadline. I wanted to accent the bike with something made out of wood, but my simple mind is toast right now.

a59edd03e2a8f6a5643ac938d55b3bd7.jpg

dfebbb19256fb96549d20742e38365bb.jpg

Okay, I haven't forgot about this build off. I believe I have this thing complete, but constructive criticism, or not, is welcomed.

Picked up ideas along the way. @Tater built a Felt Bomber a few years back that rolled on Berm Master tires and it looked great. I tried these tires on this build just because of that.

I wanted to keep the shifter cable completely exposed running along the frame, and I'm satisfied with the outcome. The shifter mounting bracket required a different angle to function on this build and even though it hurt to put holes on this frame, it had to be done or I would need to get someone to fabricate a mount for it.

I'm also running a lower than desired PSI on the front tire just to make it fit, I couldn't go back to thick bricks after purchasing the Berm's, that would mean I gave up on my idea.

So let me know what you guys think, I may be messing with it more right up to the deadline. I wanted to accent the bike with something made out of wood, but my simple mind is toast right now.

a59edd03e2a8f6a5643ac938d55b3bd7.jpg

dfebbb19256fb96549d20742e38365bb.jpg
My dad passed in 2008 of emphysema, before the chemicals at the factory made him sick he was a pilot. His personal aircraft was an ultralight with red baron skins,your build reminds me of that ultralight. Thanks for that.

Personal stuff out of the way,I dig what you've done here.

Latest posts

Back