Desert Beer Rat (Finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunrise shows some mew Dark Ford Blue Darts...
3da31777e378773cb614514dbc6a70ce.jpg
a972312aac6638b7280c7bad58be966c.jpg

Building..... Riding.....

Add a new ford blue stripe in the dart.

Done spraying color on the frame. Gotta finish curing before I cam take the shine away.
c5732eba4cce0986e63ee09de36a43f0.jpg
31ff76c0dec0b10cc1c95ceaaba82070.jpg

Wher did you acquire your patterns for the darts ?

Wher did you acquire your patterns for the darts ?

I couldn't find any templates out there, so I eyeballed a couple 40 columbia and westfield frames. And picked a few higher res references to match to.

Combined the single line pattern with the feathered pattern for that year. I saw a frame once with a red stripe between the feathers... anyway,

Then I grabbed a big cutting board, a yard stick and a exacto knife.

I Did the feathers first.

Took the 1" frog tape and Made a lot of 1/8 wide strips. Put a main line down each feather and then edge, and put little 1/2" lengths to make the finn between the arrows. For the top and bottom of each tube with 45° points cut on it to make a 90° point. Then filled in with masking tape

Sprayed with the dark ford blue, waited an hour or so and pulled off the tape.

Then early this morning I masked off the center line of each dart to add the new ford blue. I thought triple ford blue engine paint for the frame would match pretty well.

Sanded the edges with 600 grit to knock off the lip.

Have a number days to wait before I can add the matte coat, to finish it off .
e6de9b8520a9985710feb4996f8ab0c0.jpg

Excellent paint job....like the tire choice.
Thanks, glad you like the colors.

I was happy Niagra had those kiniptions on sale in mid may when I bought the El Moco' s for the doublebar.

I had the tires before I had the frame. They looked so good with the hubs I knew they were home.

A pic of the Moco's on the dpublebar
321abaefb1311d260f458aa84b4adf64.jpg
7dfe57205c3c6a5a7fc3ebbeba4bd009.jpg

Painted the rack at lunch, got so busy, forgot about it. Sat about 30 minutes too long.

I think it looks good, but will need a couple of lines repainted where the mask lifted the stripe.

Can fix it. As long as it's almost wet i think the clear will overlay fine. Bit will probably just leave it as is for character...

Couple of nicks from handling might match in well...
aa62a28d6ed6cae080c7a1d7a5a6d79c.jpg

Awesome work on the paint MC! Thanks for laying out the technique in your above post. I have to try this sometime.

Awesome work on the paint MC! Thanks for laying out the technique in your above post. I have to try this sometime.
Thanks OddJob. Appreciate it ;-)

For feathers this works out well. Did a snyder frame similarly, except I cut out the arrowhead outlines at about 1/8inch wide.

It was after dark when I sprayed the dark, was still over 100. Shoulda took a pic but... Will do next time.

I did take this for reference a day before I put the tape on. Hehe
24556215feef64db58a859fd513f015c.jpg

Nice paint technique. I agree on the engine paint, some of the toughest rattle can paint out there, lot of colors as well.
Thanks indyjps

Agree, Really tuff, but if overlaying colors, usually at least 4 -5 days on the in between, if you can't mask and spray at the 45 minute mark for the next color. Else it stars and cracks as it cures...

The paint on this bike kills me!
Great work man!

Couple knicks from handling....in my neck of the woods we call that character.
Ok so I left the smaller nicks and clear coated over them. I did touch up where a cat knocked if off the bench yesterday.. That's a bad Kitty!

Sweet paint job! cant wait to see it together!
Thanks scrumblero, The matte coat is drying, assembly will start soon.
The paint on this bike kills me!
Great work man!
Thank You Kingfish!

So this morning before work, I hit the paint again. This time to overlay all that shiny new paint with a matte coat. Not satin, not flat, but matte. Shiny, but not shiny, flat but not flat.. smooth to the touch, not soft touch like satin.
e6698e284bc4b4ec946672b551fd4632.jpg
72cbb5545a578e8eb1e44e4636b24530.jpg
78b900adc1dc21ccb8d962e77a6345ef.jpg

" Not satin, not flat, but matte. Shiny, but not shiny, flat but not flat.. smooth to the touch, not soft touch like satin"

For a minute there I thought you were doing a longerie commercial! :21:

Not satin, not flat, but matte. Shiny, but not shiny, flat but not flat.. smooth to the touch, not soft touch like satin.

This has to be the best "quote" of the entire build off! :21::21:

" Not satin, not flat, but matte. Shiny, but not shiny, flat but not flat.. smooth to the touch, not soft touch like satin"

For a minute there I thought you were doing a longerie commercial! :21:
Heheh. Good connection... soft satin.. is what you want there. Don't want flat or matte when it comes to silky...
This has to be the best "quote" of the entire build off! :21::21:
Hehe, bullheaded enuff I had to say it, one of my buddies kept saying flat , matte and satin interchagably when I pointed out my paint plans. ;-)

Front wheel.is a bit tight. Back wobbles, will be re adjusting them on first ride...

Now what'd I do with that seat....
1f6e053a710ec2bca74de77baca3cbe4.jpg
679d5e17658332ac44518a1095757dd1.jpg

Latest posts

Back