Desert Rat-ified Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
IMG_20170311_123345_206.jpg

"For thou art rust, and unto rust thou shalt return..."

Desert Rat wood fence.jpg

I actually bought this frame from a guy in Minneapolis last year in January, while I was in Mesa, AZ. I had my son pick it up back home, and the Columbia spent the last 12 months hanging in the BACK40.

Earlier this Fall, while waiting for the MBBO voting to commence, I pulled down the frame, grabbed a set of Monark fenders that were original to my build Faded Glory, an old seat, and the Columbia springer fork I had purchased the previous year as well. I started with some assembly, some rat-ification techniques on frame and assorted parts, purchased my first set of colored tires (desert clay red), a set of coke bottle grips from @ifitsfreeitsforme here on the RRB site (love em! fat and firm, yet cushy) and new wheels.

Here is the build thread: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-ified-columbia-great-day-in-the-park.101618/

Parts list:

-Late 40's Columbia frame
-vintage Columbia springer fork
-new chromed wheelset / rust-ified and rat-ina-ed
-ratty old spring seat / recovered and rat-ified
-new set of CST Palmdale 26x2.35 tires / aged to perfection..
-custom lay back post by Chop Shop Customz (member @slowriderz )
-vintage bars, pedals
-vintage Monark fender set
-new Coke bottle grips from Thompson parts (member @ifitsfreeitsforme )

20161105_184637.jpg

46574_0e7af10f37e6179ac27bd0283d57f1ec.jpg

desertratcol2.jpg

43187_67595b60c4697643e8f608a06c84d2f3.jpg

Really enjoyed this build off. Lots of variety and some really cool builds! As always; RaT oN!

Last edited:
Nice nice nice! Thanks for including me. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to repost your bike on my Fb page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice nice nice! Thanks for including me. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to repost your bike on my Fb page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Ian! I'll be buying more grips in the future, you can be sure of that.

Very Kool. It looks like it has been together like this since new, Im trying to accomplish the same feel wth mine.

Nice job OJ. Followed the build. Never thought about aging new tires like you did. Going to use that tip!
Thanks for the follow! I wanted the whole bike to look like it's aged together over the years. Show me a pic of your results when you are done with the tires. Love to see it!

Very Kool. It looks like it has been together like this since new, Im trying to accomplish the same feel wth mine.
John, your bike is coming along well! It's fun when people stop to look at it and can't tell if it's 'that old' or if it's 'patina-ed'.

Great looking "ratina" on this beauty. Very nicely done.
Thanks Chad! I'm going to hunt down one more locale for some pictures tomorrow. Then it's back to MN on Monday. Closed up BACK40 SW yesterday...until next year. :wink1:

That's some nice build! Looks really nice![emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back