Devist8er ~ Oct update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a cool old Airstream trailer this year and I wanted a bike to match the look of it to take camping and I also will need it to be good for the trails.

So my inspiration has come from the Airstream trailer from Tater's "Rivet bike" ( he's also given me some tips on how to do this. Thanks Tater :D ).

This is the donor bike, a limited edition (#12 of 100) 2006 Felt Hurley Tres Nueves.
428767_10201279680337839_1857861832_n.jpg

And the tires I'll will be using are a pair of Devist8er 26" x 4". There 39.5" high inflated! :shock:
947130_10201279720018831_413439663_n.jpg

To use these tires, I'll have to cut and widen the rear stays and change the drop outs, along with widening the Noleen forks.
940832_10201279787140509_331640443_n.jpg

I've dug into my stash for some cool part that have to go on this build.
One is this Dirty Dog stem in red anodize. I think with all the accent components, I'll be going with the red anodized theme and a bared metal frame that is riveted. 8)
Int11-480-70.jpg

Re: Devist8er

This is gonna be a sick build. Are you going to use Walgoose wheels to hold those tires? Or are you going to try to mount them on the Felt rims?
Can't wait to see how you widen that Girvin/Noleen. I have the same fork.
Good luck

thatismytruck built a Murray a while back to match his Airstream...

DSC03127.jpg

Luke- Here's the trailer. It will need just as much work as the bike.
asis_zps52d33e03.jpg

Kingfish- I have a pair of anodized red 26"X80mm robsson rims on there way from Germany. I've used their rims on a couple builds and really like them.
RM80--24---rot--36h_7_0.jpg

As for the forks, they are getting new set of legs because, I dont have enough width or height so I'll weld spacers/extensions right into them.
bb72e9af-9e05-4c31-9981-95da5c891c3a_zps5df0676c.jpg

Fitsfree- Love the Murray build nice match!

Critter- Awesome stem! who makes those?

The Donor bike is dismantled and I'm working on striping the frame bare.
stripingtheframe_zps4ec2be45.jpg

Today after work, I striped the paint off an old British motorcycle fender. It's 5" wide, so it'll cover the tire nicely.
Britishmotorcyclefender_zps1613ad3d.jpg

Critter1 said:
Polished aluminum and rivets are RAD!

I think this stem looks very Airstreamy...
286.jpg

Got a brand/model name for it? I have a bike it would look good on.
rick

Love the idea!!

The Airstreamer in me has to let you know that your camper is not an Airstream. I thought it was an Avion at first. Then I searched Streamline. But it's a Travelux. I know nothing about them. But it sure looks cool. The site I linked to will help you with anything you could ever want or need old aluminum camper-wise. knowledge base is awesome!!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417/78 ... 02669.html
(mods: sorry for the other forum link, but it's not another bike site so I thought it would be ok to bend the rule a bit.)

If you want some cool rivets for your camper and your bike try these: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Riv ... rs_s/5.htm. What's cool about them is you can use a regular rivet gun and then shave them with the tool that's available. They look just like buck rivets with out all the hammering. That's what I use on my Airstream and also on the tank I built for the bike that was posted above.

Looking forward to your take on the rivets and aluminum!

Cheers!

thatismytruck said:
Love the idea!!

The Airstreamer in me has to let you know that your camper is not an Airstream. I thought it was an Avion at first. Then I searched Streamline. But it's a Travelux. I know nothing about them. But it sure looks cool. The site I linked to will help you with anything you could ever want or need old aluminum camper-wise. knowledge base is awesome!!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417/78 ... 02669.html
(mods: sorry for the other forum link, but it's not another bike site so I thought it would be ok to bend the rule a bit.)

Cheers!

Thanks "thatismytruck"
Yes, I know it's not an "Airstream" but if I had said I have a "Travelux" :? I want to use as the inspiration, nobody would have an idea of what I was thinking.
And the link you provided is to my :) post on airforms. As you can see I've got some work to do on it Too! I put the bike aside tonight and did a little work on the trailer.

Thanks for the rivet tip, I'll check into it.

Got some time in on the bike tonight. Fender is coming along nice, have some holes to fill and some more to make.
rearfender_zps077d8f1d.jpg

YES! the rims arrived 26"x 80mm red anodized.
I'm putting in a Nexus 8 speed with roller brake for the rear and a Sturmey Archer XL-FD 5 star drum brake on the front.
80mmrims8speed_zpsce9c78ec.jpg

Great work on that fender and I love the wheel setup!

evalu8r said:
And the link you provided is to my :) post on airforms. As you can see I've got some work to do on it Too!

HA!! I didn't even notice the old wooden chairs until you said this!! The interwebnet is getting tangled. :lol:

I liKe the drillium in the fender.

Latest posts

Back