Did I Build A Dangerous Wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safe wheel build?

• Npot safe for any type of riding

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Mongoose Beast specifically to use the 4 inch wide rims. But I had to change the rear hub so that it would fit my frame. I swapped in a Sram Automatix hub. The two flanges are much closer to gather that the original hub. When I took these two pieces to my lbs to have a new wheel built, the mechanic did not want to build it. He said it was a bad idea to pair up that specific hub with a 4 inch wide rim because the spokes would be too close to vertical and that the wheel might collapse when I made a turn. The problem is I can't use a wider hub since my frame won't allow it.

Anyhow I was persistent so I just decided to learn how to build a wheel myself. So I built it and trued it to the best of my ability. It's 36 spoke 3-cross. I test drove it and everything seemed fine. as you can tell this bike iw simply a cruiser, not performance oriented at all. I am not taking any jumps on it and will probably be under 8 MPH all day long. Do you think it is safe though?

PS. I also have 2.35 inch wide tires stretched out onto the 4 inch wide rims if that makes any difference.

ruff_cycles_tango_01_by_lazonaimagery-d81rcik.jpg

ruff_cycles_tango_02_by_lazonaimagery-d81rcq3.jpg

I can't guarantee you anything, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it. Nice Bike!

We gotta remember that the LBS is going to be extra-cautious, b/c their very existence depends on avoiding litigation. But, the internet is littered with pics of 4" wide rims laced to 5" wide hubs. I suspect you'll be fine, if the wheel is well-built.

Where did you get the 4 inch wide white walls? Sweet cruiser!

Thanks!. The tires are Project 346 Balloon Tires. They are actually only 2.35 inches wide. I stretched them to fit the 4 inch wide rim. I'll take some close up pics when I get home.

I got the tires from The Cruiser Shop in CA.

Nice bike.Do a few tight figure 8s with it to test it.I think it will be ok for cruising along.The color with the black rims and wwws looks good.

If I had any doubt I would prop up the wheel at a 45 degree angle against the wall and apply a good amount of pressure to the hub to see what it will do. I doubt if there will be a problem if there is some angle in the spokes from the flange to the wheel. Remember that while one spoke is pushing against the hub and wheel the other is pulling at the same rate. Crossing spokes like you did will apply pressure to other spokes the stressed spoke is in contact with therefore alleviating the pressure on a single spoke. While rolling each spoke only takes a full load for fractions of a section at a time.

In short....Is it the best set up? No.
Has it been done before and survived years of life without issue? Yes.

I'd think it would work. The rim is what might flex, and a rim that wide probably won't. I had a Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 with fancy lightweight rims. They were no match for NJ roads, and the rear one would start to taco when I rode around a corner, then snap back! I ended up finding a Varsity, and swapping the much tougher S-5 rims on. -Adam

I also got to say that your lbs wouldn't get my tricycle to work on! :)
"Close to vertical!" Bahahahaha.

Latest posts

Back