Did I make a mistake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I listed this bike on CL for $140 and a day later I sold it for $120. I thought it was fair, not the best price (for me) but certainly not the worst, right?
I ask because the gentlemen who is picking it up saturday will be making a 2+ hour trip one way to pick it up.
What am I missing? Is this bike worth $120, 4-5 hours of drive time, gas, and tolls?
IMG_7346.jpg

Oh ya, I removed the light before I listed it :eek:

might be something sentimental to the guy... who knows the madness behind some peoples methods of thinking.. nice bike though

All the parts could easily swap onto a guys bike, truss rods and nice chrome wheels are hard to find, horns are $35 for a new one too. Parts add up quick especially with shipping on top of it. It's almost always cheaper to get a donor bike for a restoration, depending on what level your taking it too. I thought your price was fair.

Thanks Everyone!

I know that parting it could have brought more but I'm not really into that. Everytime I have tried that I sell all the boys compatable stuff and then I'm left with the rest. That and I don't have the time, energy, or patience to sell it one piece at a time.

I typically look at the completed listings on ebay but I can never make sense out of what I see. Right now I see completed listings for a like hornet and they are anywhere from $100 to $800. What gives? I also see a lot in the $150-$200 range that have seen no action.

It seems like you people in Cali get charged double on everything, why is that?

The funny part is I picked this up off of CL a few months back for $50 and no one else was jumping at it.
Thought I might do something with it but you know how that goes. I'm on a mission to get my garage back by winter, I just got rid of the truck with the remote start :lol:

I think it's because we don't have many old bikes like the midwest or eastcoast.
highship said:
Thanks Everyone!

I know that parting it could have brought more but I'm not really into that. Everytime I have tried that I sell all the boys compatable stuff and then I'm left with the rest. That and I don't have the time, energy, or patience to sell it one piece at a time.

I typically look at the completed listings on ebay but I can never make sense out of what I see. Right now I see completed listings for a like hornet and they are anywhere from $100 to $800. What gives? I also see a lot in the $150-$200 range that have seen no action.

It seems like you people in Cali get charged double on everything, why is that?

The funny part is I picked this up off of CL a few months back for $50 and no one else was jumping at it.
Thought I might do something with it but you know how that goes. I'm on a mission to get my garage back by winter, I just got rid of the truck with the remote start :lol:

I think at $120 you didn't get hurt, but if he is using it as a donor then he made out. I would cut/weld the steer tube to have a men's fork, nice rear rack, trusses, fenders and light, chainguard... just add a mens frame painted blue/white and you're all set. Sell the rest at a show. Yeah I think I'd give $120 pretty easily.

Was it a midweight with S7 rims or a balloon with S2 rims? Nice chrome S2's bring big money.

chimichanga said:
I think it's because we don't have many old bikes like the midwest or eastcoast.

East coast? Depends on which part, here in the south, I got nothing!

Don't ever fret over the trip that people make to get stuff, he probably just made the long trip because there was nothing similar in his area. All of us are at different stages of bike collecting and our effort to get bikes that might not seem desirable to anyone else proves it. Some people have a lot of time and don't "add in" costs like travel, it's all about the journey.

You did fine and you know it, that guy is happy, but I doubt seriously he will flip it again, if so, oh well, you doubled your money already.

Hate to say it because I'm not a Schwinn guy but take what you would get for any other comparable brand bike & double it and you have what Schwinn collectors are willing to pay, usually. Even a girl's bike. As someone else said, Schwinn guys want correct parts and will often use the every part of a girls bike possible on boys bikes, nuts, bolts, etc with Schwinn logo correct. I would have held out for $250 on this bike. If you recouped or made money, no big deal but it seems to just be a fact of life when dealing with Schwinns. BTW, I hate seeing great original bikes get parted out even girls bikes but it is a reality in our hobby.

It's a nice bike in great shape and I know if the wife was mad about you buying too many bikes that'd be just the thing to get you out of hot water. That is a fair price if you like it but he won't make any big money off of it.

In town here there is an auction every Saturday, A bike just like yours, but with more patina and a pair of ape hangers went for $250 that day. I stopped at $125. The guy wanted to spend big bucks restoring it all up. I think I talked him into leaving all the origional patina alone and just letting his wife ride it as is.

Latest posts

Back