Digging those Good Vibrations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this Huffy Good Vibrations today for $30 as a source of parts to get my Monark (Huffy) Thunderbird running. The bike turned out to be a gem. It looks like it has very low miles on it. Once I get what I need for the Thunderbird off it, the rest is going to be saved for a future project.

Serial number info I'm finding on line for these HC numbers seems very conflicting, but I think the bike is from the '80's. It has a Shimano rear hub and "lawyer" washers on the front fork.
Serial number on the head tube is HC8326900. One source would have this bike made in February '83 while another says August of '32.

Aside from all that, is that the correct seat for this bike?
f8d17ea7f89a534c5ff849357ed9b966.jpg
4015bec0d2466165c983d2ffa27c83b0.jpg
478ac733b224b1557409ed668aba4a3c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm going to throw a third year out for you :grin:. Its definitely not a '32 :shake:. The HC is sometime in the 70s and later, the first number is the last number of the year. So, 'something-8. That badge sticker is late 70s, I believe...so, most likely a '78.

Jason

What about that seat? Is that original? The design says really old to me, but looking at it up close, it doesn't look any older than the bike.

Nice find! No scuffs on the handle grips, seat, or pedals. So, you're right, it had no real wear on it. The head badge does look like 1978. Made in Dayton on that sticker?

I'd clean it up, keep it like that, maybe advertise it as such to make some bucks. Or just keep it and then get another bike to use as a donor for the Monark. There's always room for another bike! :113:

Thanks guys. Because the bike has a Shimano rear hub and safety retaining washers on the front hub I figured it had to be from at least the '80's.

Doing some tinkering tonight and noticed this little sticker on the seat tube, hiding under the top tube...
695e2e24176e641b686b1fd910c19e21.jpg

Latest posts

Back