Disabled rats?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time no visit. I've been a member since 2006 but not been around for a while.

Anyway, I'm in the business of selling bikes for people with disabilities here in the UK and I wondered if there might be room for a discussion about riding with disabilities. None of my disabilities is on the outside but many of us have a disability of one kind or another. Even if it's not visible.

We have had a really big resurgence of interest in health and fitness and sport for from disabled people and this seems to be driven by a general awareness of health issues but a lot of impetus has come from the success of the London Paralympics, which really got the whole country inspired. Then the Tour De France visited us here in England, and came almost right past our front door.

We work with kids and adults of all abilities and the whole range of disabilities. For example, in the near future we'll be concentrating our efforts on cycling for ex-servicemen who have lost limbs and setting up schemes across the country to use cycling to support those with dementia.

If you've got any stories about how you have adapted a bike for yourself or anyone else to make it easier or possible to ride for a specific disability I'd be really interested to read about it. And if I can bring my technical knowledge to help anyone who's hoping to get riding with a disability, please just ask.

Great to be back again,

All the best, Mick

Get Cycling Disability - www.getcycling.org.uk

All of the ones I have seen involve modifying the front fork assembly to have a crank/chainring in place of handlebars, with the chain going to a driven wheel in the front rather than in the rear. It is , however, better if you can use 3-piece cranks, as you can flip one crank arm so they both face the same direction. This alleviates the fork trying to turn as you pedal the cranks.

This trike recently popped up here locally. I was thinking about buying it just take off the handlebar crank and see if I could make a 2wd bike. Still might if it sits for sale long enough but as much fun as that build might be, I would rather see it go to a family that needs it.
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/4794405059.html

Latest posts

Back