Do bent springers suck?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes think about trying a bent springer on my Dyno Roadster, to lower it a bit. Because, as you know, they sit way too high, right?!!
But from the looks of it, the geometry would suck. Do they ride OK or are they a huge sacrifice in function?

Waiting to see the responses on this, should be good for a laugh!

I think it really comes down to where you want the bike to be on the form-function scale...

Luke.

I used to do lowrider conversions and custom builds for customers a lot around 1998-2000. We had an account with Aztlan, and we were actually an Aztlan dealer for a while, and stocked these forks. I did not enjoy the ride and neither did the customers. But they looked cool, and on 20" bikes if you get up any significant speed, you may jack-knife. 26" bikes are almost as bad.They really are meant for looks though, and I don't think any producer of these forks has ever claimed any measurable decency in the ride quality, nor have they ever disclaimed the lack of ride quality or dangers involved. I had a Huffy canti frame I threw a 26" bent springer on a couple of years ago. Basically I had a less maneuverable bike that squeaked a lot up front.

The look of these springers is awesome,
slow n low is a different ride,it would not
be my everyday bike.Scrapin pedals is a
cool trick,sparks at night,can't beat it. Kinda like pedaling a wheel barrel but on a smooth rail trail thru CT,the Best...Stevil

Luke I pretty clearly had my answer from the way you responded, and everyone confirmed it!
Thanks guys. Just from the looks of their geometry, I was figuring that was the deal.

"It took a lot of getting used to, but in the end I still hated it."
g4168.jpg

Odder, can I steal that quote for my signature? Awesome!:rofl:

I've never used a bent Springer before, but I did bend the forks on stormtrooper. The ride quality on it sucks, @LukeTheJoker told me it's cuz the bent fork acts like a bent springer.

Now I'm rethinking my typhoon lowrider build.

The trail angle is excessive, fork rake angle extreme, cornering sucks, dynamic stability non-existent; I wouldn’t want it any other way baby! I love it! :D

Daddy'O!
DaddyO%20001_zpswbtyw6tn.jpg

The trail angle is excessive, fork rake angle extreme, cornering sucks, dynamic stability non-existent; I wouldn’t want it any other way baby! I love it! :D

Daddy'O!
DaddyO%20001_zpswbtyw6tn.jpg
Hehe, I like the looks of that. I've ridden bikes raked like that before. The one I built had the deep cage on it .

Once I get up to speed, I just lean, never really turn. [emoji605] [emoji605] [emoji605] My buddy got on it and tried to ride it, and the snaking frame freaked him out. Climbed right off it.

My thought is, Springers are a style some hate, some like. If you build it up and it doesnt ride like you want, change it back or try something else.

Building... riding...

Last edited:
I used to do lowrider conversions and custom builds for customers a lot around 1998-2000. We had an account with Aztlan, and we were actually an Aztlan dealer for a while, and stocked these forks..
that is cool. i always liked low rider bikes. i built one for my girl around that time. i still have a catalog from magalowrider hanging over the towel rack in my top box. funny, its been there at least 15 years.

Can't. It's for my O.B.C. build off bike, which is secret until the show in April.
Ah, cool! Congrats on being invited to compete by the way! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back